Learning

Highlighted

Configure Virtual Switching Framework (VSF) the easy way

Aruba has two types of stacking on the switches above the 2530/2540:

• Fabric stacking (2920,2930M,3800,3810M)
  • Virtual Fabric Stacking VSF (2930F,5400R)

VSF is simular to IRF on the Comware switches.

Below is a short instruction to setup VSF. The speed needed as a VSF link is different per switch, lookup the minimal speed needed in the switch manual.

Switch1

• (config)# vsf member 1 link 1 A24
  • (config)# vsf enable domain 1

Switch2: 

• Made sure the switch has no configuration (has the factory-defautl config), connect a port on the second switch to the VSF port on the first switch. The second switch should enable VSF and add the connected port to the VSF link automatically.

You are done!

Attached more information. Please use the AOS-Switch_VSF_Configuration_Guide.pdf!!!

Partly based on http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Campus-Switching-and-Routing/Configure-Virtual-Switching-Framework-VSF-in-2-steps/td-p/266765

Cheers, Frank
AirHeads MVP |AMFX#22| ACCX#613| ACMX#733| ACDX#744

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Configure Virtual Switching Framework (VSF) the easy way

Hi Alex,

Please keep in mind the following :

1. VSF member priority – default value is 128; configurable; Member priority determines the possibility of a member device to be elected the Commander. A member with higher priority is more likely to be elected the Commander.

2. There are a number of events that can cause the Commander management module to failover to the Standby management module:  Commander management module crashes or heartbeats lost  Redundancy switchover command is executed – useful command for changing Commander/Standby assignments in a VSF

3. NOTE: Changing the priority does not affect the commander immediately. It will take effect from the next stack reboot, during the commander election.

4. When a standby takes over as commander, one of the member switches is upgraded to standby role.

So AFAIK the commander will stay commander unless there is an issue.

And like I said before. In case the member 2 is commander and the member 3 is standby, when member 1 was down and reconnects it will be a member. There is no need to elect an commander as there is already one active, member 2.

So I think based on the documentation the behavior you have seen is expected.

Cheers, Frank

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Contributor I

great! it works for me but you miss something, but i was be able to figure out easily

when you need to add a third switch, you need to add anoher VSF link in this 2nd swtich

switch 2

• (config)# vsf member 2 link 2 A25

and then a third switch... it will be added to the VSF automatically

and for last, to close the ring at the 4 switch.

switch 4

• (config)# vsf member 4 link 2 A25

switch 1

• (config)# vsf member 1 link 2 A25

now you are complet.

Highlighted
New Contributor

hi i am configuring aruba 2930f vsf stacking

as per above process i had done the configuration but i am anable to check the vsf configuration.

pls help

@mrtwentytwo wrote:

• Virtual Fabric Stacking VSF (2930F,5400R,8400)

Below is a short instruction to setup VSF. The speed needed as a VSF link is different per switch, lookup the minimal speed needed in the switch manual.

Switch1

Switch2: 

• Made sure the switch has no configuration (has the factory-defautl config), connect a port on the second switch to the VSF port on the first switch. The second switch should enable VSF and add the connected port to the VSF link automatically.

You are done!

Attached more information.

Partly based on http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Campus-Switching-and-Routing/Configure-Virtual-Switching-Framework-VSF-in-2-steps/td-p/266765

@mrtwentytwo wrote:

Switch1

Switch2: 

You are done!

@mrtwentytwo wrote:

Switch1

Switch2: 

You are done!

Highlighted

Hi

Show VSF will display if VSF is up and running.

Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Community,
I'm really new to this and a bit confused about the switch behaviour.

I configured a ring vsf-stack, giving all needed information:vsf-stack_1.pngWhile testing I disconnected the commander and everything went fine. Standby becomes new commander, member becomes standby.

After that I reconnected the "old commander" (Member 1) and got the following result:vsf-stack_3.png

I now disconnected the new Commander (Member 2) and all I could recognize ist, that Member 3 becomes the new Commander, als shown below:

vsf-stack_2.png

Because of the given priority I expected Member 1 to become Commander again, but instead of this Meber 3 with lowest priority is preferred to become new commander.

Is there a misconfiguration in priorization or why does my prio-info get not relevant?

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted

Hi,

Maybe you could upgrade the firmware and try again?

16.08.0001 is one year old. 16.08.0008 is the oldest for the 16.08 release

Cheers,

Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi, I just tested this, but does not have any affect.
Any other ideas?

Thanks and best regards

Highlighted

Hi,

Just looking at your screenshots again.

A member will not become commander, only the standby will. So that looks okay.

But you expect your member 1 to become the standby when I reconnects, making the member 3 as role members and setting the member 1 to standby.

Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Frank,

yes I expect the commander and standby to take these roles and not a "normal member" to become commander.

If that is the normal way, why should I then use something like priority-count? Is this behaviour correct?

Thanks Alex

Highlighted

Hi

My thoughts on this. I can't test it right now.

1. Start situation:

Member 1 Commander

Member 2 Standby

Member 3 Member.

2. Member 1 gets disconnected/down

Member 2 is promoted to Commander

Member 3 is promoted to standby

3.Member 1 gets connected again

Member 1 becomes member as Member 2 is commander and Member 3 is standby

4. Member 2 gets disconnected/down

Member 3 is promoted to Commander

Member 1 is promoted to Standby

As it is the standby role to take over the commander when it fails.

Cheers, Frank

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: