Location Services

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central Presence Analytics: how to distinguish 'connected' vs 'authenticated'

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central Presence Analytics: how to distinguish 'connected' vs 'authenticated'

Posted Sep 17, 2019 04:46 AM

Good day,

My situation is that I have captive portal with username/password fields before users can access the internet.

I would like to know those who are connected to the Wi-Fi (but are not yet authenticated) vs those that are connected to the Wi-Fi (and are able to use the internet).

In Aruba Central > Presence Analytics dashboard, we have the "Wi-Fi Connected Devices". I just want to know if these counts are talking about devices that are authenticated properly and are now able to access the internet?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jeffrey Castro

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central Presence Analytics: how to distinguish 'connected' vs 'authenticated'

Posted Sep 17, 2019 04:50 AM
      |   view attached

Some info:

Attached is what the Clients look like. I have 2 sample clients, both of which are tagged as "connected" to the Wi-Fi, but only 1 is able to access the internet (the other 1 I intentionally put invalid username/password).

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central Presence Analytics: how to distinguish 'connected' vs 'authenticated'

Posted Sep 17, 2019 05:14 AM

Hi,

If I not wrong I think you could distinguish a authenticated user with one who are just connected (but not authenticated) by looking at the user role affected to the user.

Look on your screenshoot :Screenshot 2019-09-17 at 4.47.40 PM.png

• One have The "External CP" role which means that the user has redirect on the splash page of the captive portal but not yet authenticated.
    • Instead of the other user have the "Burlamacco" role wich means that is authenticated to the SSID "Burlamacco" (by defaut, when you create a WLAN Network, the SSID name and the role name are the same as the one you choose for your WLAN Network)

Hope it is clear and answer to your question,

Regards,

• 4.  RE: Aruba Central Presence Analytics: how to distinguish 'connected' vs 'authenticated'

Posted Sep 17, 2019 05:20 AM

Hi Frédéric,

Thanks for your reply.
    I figured as much, i noticed that the only difference is that column with the "External AP".

How about my question regarding Presence Analytics > Wi-Fi Connected Devices?
    Does this count only those that are 'authenticated' ?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jeffrey Castro

• 5.  RE: Aruba Central Presence Analytics: how to distinguish 'connected' vs 'authenticated'

Posted Sep 17, 2019 05:25 AM

How about my question regarding Presence Analytics > Wi-Fi Connected Devices?

Does this count only those that are 'authenticated' ?

Nope. I pretty sure (but needed to be confirm by an Aruba guy) that it count all the Wi-Fi connected devices which means all the devices associated on an SSID.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Central Presence Analytics: how to distinguish 'connected' vs 'authenticated'

Posted Sep 17, 2019 05:29 AM

Ok thank you for your replies, hopefully we get an Aruba person to confirm this to us.

Best regards,

Jeffrey