Location Services

last person joined: yesterday 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

Posted Apr 01, 2019 03:36 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

We are using Location BAse Services on Auruba's IAP and following the clip at the link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czGEaaFYZ8 

But a problem is that ALE sends Mac IP discontinuously. We received a Mac IP in 4 hours after a log had been sent to the Mac

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2019 07:57 AM

I see you are using calibration mode in ALE and what I understand is client MAC is not reporting in regular interval.

May I know how many IAPs been provisioned on the floor where you are doing calibraiton testing? If it is single IAP then it wont report proper locaiton, at least three IAPs should hear that client with good signal strength.

Try use Estimation mode, if you have Airwave in your network and check once.

• 3.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

Posted Apr 02, 2019 01:02 AM

Hi Pavan Arshewar,

I installed 5 access point on floor to connect to ALE, the floor area is 20x14 square meter. And I can see that the mode with calibration is the most accurate? Did I miss anything to consider?

Regards,

• 4.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2019 06:22 AM

. In Calibration mode we create a map of expected rssi levels to expect on a particular place by fingerprinting. It’s important that there are atleast 6-7 Aps with one AM on the floor.
    • In Calibration mode accuracy depends on rail drawn in maps. More the rails drawn in map and more the rssi fingerprinting data points more accurate will be the client location.
    • While fingerprinting walk the line twice to collect better data points..
    • Use ale demonstrator app and see if blue dot is seen for that floor plan.
    • Use commands like “# show ap virtual-beacon-report client-mac <mac address of the client>” to check how many Aps are hearing that client. Make sure client match is enabled on Controller.

• 5.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:17 PM

Thank you for your answer.
    I understood that We need 2 walks to increase the accuracy; thus, We used 2 Mac addresses here at almost a point at a time and one device (Ip Xsmask) returned x-y coordinates immediately and the other (iPhone 7) returned the coordinates after 4 hours (please see the image attached)
    Whether there is a connection between Aps and model types.? We are using 2 Aps 303, 2 aps 215 and 1 aps 315

• 6.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2019 05:57 AM

Model 215 does not have inbuilt beacon support, are you using USB beacon in this case?

There is no such phone specific support, try enable bluetooth aswell on your phones and check and also need to make sure you have few APs in AM mode.

• 7.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

Posted Apr 03, 2019 06:54 AM

Hi Pavan,

I am using location received from ALE, I am not sure the function of beacon here, why you use beacon here.

Now Aps 315 is set to use AM

Regards,

• 8.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2019 07:08 AM

https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/location-services/aruba-beacons/

To increase client location accuracy, we use beacons, IAP 30x model have this feature inbuilt but 2xx series does not have inbuilt feature so we use exteranl beacons.

Check all the settings which I suggested in my old post.

• 9.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

Posted Apr 04, 2019 05:47 AM

Hi PaVan,

Thank for rep. We will change Access point and check Again.

Regards,

• 10.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP

Posted Apr 08, 2019 03:40 AM

Dear Pavan,

Thanks for your guide. I want to ask you another question about how frequency does controller/virtual controller send to ALE server. I had already set Report Interval is 6 seconds but when running command "feed-reader -f location", some MAC client periodically appears in 20 seconds, some other MAC only appear after some few hours. How do I know about frequency the controller send location packet to ALE server?

Thank you very much.

• 11.  RE: Support ALE Location Base Services on IAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2019 10:03 AM

ALE receives data depend on value you configure in IAPs report interval. I see you are looking at command "feed-reader -f location",  ALE will calculate location of the client based on RSSI data it have, if ALE does not have enough RSSI info it will not calculate the location.

You can try enable in ALE if you want ALE to calculate the location even if single IAP hearing that client

Enable Single Ap Location Calculation