Monitoring, Management & Location Tracking

View Only
last person joined: one year ago 

Articles relating to existing and legacy HPE Aruba Networking products and solutions including AirWave, Meridian Apps, ALE, Central / HPE Aruba Networking Central, and UXI / HPE Aruba Networking User Experience Insight

Is my server capable of running 64-bit OS? 

Jun 26, 2014 08:28 PM

Question   Is my server capable of running 64-bit OS?

Want to upgrade to 64-bit server but not sure of your current setup? Here's a few questions that may help you through this:

1. What is my current setup running?
From the command line:
# uname -i
If it returns 'i386' then you're on 32-bit OS. If it returns 'x86-64' then you're on 64-bit.

2. How can i tell if my server is capable of running 64-bit OS?
From the command line:
# dmesg | grep -i cpu
This will return a list of the CPUs which you can do a web search on. The vendor's webpage for the CPU should say if the CPU is capable of running 64-bit.

Find out the processor type/model, and look it up on the manufacturer site.
A quick search for 'Intel Xeon x3230' got me to the x3230 spec sheet which says 'Instruction Set = 64-bit' - confirming that it's okay to install on 64-bit OS.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i flags | grep -i lm
If you see 'lm' (which stands for long mode), then your system is capable of running 64-bit. Note: 'lm' is different from 'lahf_lm' and 'sahf_lm'. The 'lahf_lm' and 'sahf_lm' flags only denote that the instruction sets for LAHF or SAHF are available in 64-bit mode. LAHF = Load status flags into AH register. SAHF = Store AH registers into flags.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.