Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

100-150Mbps ISP Connections? How does data flow?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  100-150Mbps ISP Connections? How does data flow?

Posted Sep 28, 2019 10:59 PM

Hi Guys

Newbie here with the thirst and desire to learn more about networking.

Pls help me clarify this burning question.

Today in a normal environment, we have 1G access ports that serves users that are hungry for internet speeds, watching youtube, social media etc. We supply them with 80G uplink to servers for example.

Wifi is also connected to 1G ports.

For Lan, Im like thinking, if 3 users are downloading heavily on 1G port and my uplink is only 1G, how are all 3 users satisfied without disruption?

On the ISP end, we are only subscribing to 100Mbps / 150Mbps. On a normal day, we have 1000s of visitors who use free wifi as well.

I mean how is the small ISP 100-150Mbps able to server all of them without much lagging. Im still not able to visualize and comprehend the idea.

To summerize my question, we are consuming so much of data while the available bandwidth from ISP is only 100-150Mpbs. How is the data flowing to support everyone on LAN and WIFI? Isnt there a bottleneck?

If anyone can help me with a simple anology, I will be so grateful. I have read in my ccna about frames, windowing etc. But it is still not clicking. Im sure there are many out there who can resonate with me on this. thank you in advance to the kind soul who is going to enlighten me. 

• 2.  RE: 100-150Mbps ISP Connections? How does data flow?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2019 04:55 AM

Wifi is the bottleneck because it is half duplex and the users share bandwidth unlike the wired network.

• 3.  RE: 100-150Mbps ISP Connections? How does data flow?

Posted Sep 30, 2019 10:02 AM
    Hi cjoseph.. not exactly what I was expecting.. but thanks for answering anyways..