Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding Motorola 6532 & 7532 to Airwave

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Adding Motorola 6532 & 7532 to Airwave

Posted Oct 04, 2016 11:52 AM

Hi guys,

I'm new here and currently running an eval copy of Airwave 8.2.1.1.

The eval is part of a proof of concept we've been working on with HPE / Aruba, our AP's are largely Motorola/Zebra 6532 & 7532's and we're hoping to be able to manage them using Airwave, although I understand the functionality may be somewhat limited.

I followed the process for adding a new AP but keep getting the following returned;

Status changed to 'SNMP get failed'

Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction....

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Adding Motorola 6532 & 7532 to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2016 12:24 PM

First you'll want to double check that the SNMP community string provided is correct.  To do this, navigate to AP/Devices -> drill down to the controller -> go to Manage page -> view Device Creds (this will show the creds in clear text).

Some Motorola devices take a long time to build up the SNMP response.  You might try to increase the timeout for SNMP replies on the Device Setup -> Communications tab.  Timeout maxes at 60 seconds.  You can also test the SNMP communication from the CLI using snmp walk commands:

# s2w ip_address community_string oid flags

examples:

# s2w 10.10.10.10 public sysName

# s2w 10.10.10.10 private sysDescr -On

If you're still seeing communication issues, please open a support ticket so that they can help debug.  It could be that the timeout is exceeding the 1 min mark, or it could be that the communication path has a firewall, in any case - TAC should be able to get to the bottom of it.

• 3.  RE: Adding Motorola 6532 & 7532 to Airwave

Posted Oct 20, 2016 06:44 AM

Rob,

Thank you for your response, I tried some of your suggestions, the SNMP string is correct, no issues here.

The CLI is able to poll the devices via SNMPv2...

SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: LHBWAP0001

The web interface however still comes back with 'Down (SNMP get failed)' even with 60 seconds set for the timeout, I checked our other management tools and they are able to poll these devices while set to 4 seconds.

One thing I noticed, in the device communications page, i see this message:

'If this device is down because the credentials on the device have changed, update the fields below with the correct information.

This device is currently using SNMP version 1'

The device is actually using SNMP v2, I've checked everywhere and its set to V2 but this page still states V1...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shane.

• 4.  RE: Adding Motorola 6532 & 7532 to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2016 11:38 AM

Ah... try this:

a) Navigate to the controller

b) Then jump to the group that has the controller

c) Go to the Basic tab

d) Check for a category of either Symbol or Motorola

e) Make sure SNMP version is set to version 2c

f)  If you had to change it, save & apply

• 5.  RE: Adding Motorola 6532 & 7532 to Airwave

Posted Oct 20, 2016 11:53 AM

The majority of our Motorola landscape is controller less, and therefore these devices are stand alone.

• 6.  RE: Adding Motorola 6532 & 7532 to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2016 12:10 PM

Fat APs abide by the group basic settings as well.  If the APs are split into separate groups, be sure to check each group for the SNMP version being used for the Symbol/Motorola devices (there should be a separation per device type that shows up on the Group -> Basic page).