Network Management

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Re: AirWave 8.0.10 now available. Upgrade has a database bloat check.

I'm having the same problem:

"Database tables need vacuuming before you can proceed with upgrade"

I ran through the reindix and vacuum procedure TWICE.  Still getting the same error when attempting to run the upgrade.  I'm at 8.0.9.2 right now.

Anyone have any other ideas?  I will be getting in touch with Aruba support about it tomorrow, if I don't get it sorted out between now and then.  Thanks everyone :)

Highlighted

There are some tables that even after vacuumed are still large enough to block the upgrade.  The script support has will pinpoint the specific tables that block the upgrade.  Support will either help vacuum the table further or patch to bypass the check based on the list of bloated tables.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Highlighted

Yes, support gave me a hand with that earlier.  He just went into the upgrade script and changed the value of the bloat check limit to be slightly higher than our level of bloat.  But, I thought it was a big jump upward, and I couldn't understand the tech's explanation for why that was fine.  Why would the limit be set at aroung 1GB, and our biggest table was aroung 6GB, and so he just set the limit in the check to be 7GB?  If 6GB is perfectly fine, why would the engineers who created the check have used such a much smaller value for it?

Highlighted

Great question.

For some customers, the periodic vacuuming of the database was not completing due to the amount of db activity (the db vacuum process was falling behind).  This eventually caused some issues that the check is trying to pro-actively prevent.  Symptoms were large numbers of transactions waiting for db locks to write, sluggish UI, and poor db performance (lots of items pending in queue).  The initial thought was that it only happens for customers maintaining a long history, or had a lot of unique clients, but then it was observed on customers who didn't have the same scaling which prompted the decision for more aggressive vacuuming due to the lack of a distinct pattern.

Rob Gin
Highlighted

Ok, hmm..

So, while I'm still scratching my head about database whoas..

I've been seeing this message on my AMP for months:

"Nightly maintenance failed because of unsuccessful jobs: clean_database. Contact Aruba Technical Support"

And of course, I've been passive-aggressively ignoring it, daring it to manifest in some discernable problem going on somewhere.  But, nope.

After successfully completing the upgrade to 8.0.10 (and additional kernel patches it also included) a couple of hours ago, I went ahead and, once again, ran through the reindex and vacuum procedures covered earlier in this thread.  I was hoping it would finally result in some shrinking of the size of the database(s).  But, it still doesn't appear to have.  I'm wondering if I'm going to see any difference in the results of the nightly maintenance.  I'm kind of expecting I won't, because that problem has remained outstanding through at least a couple of previous point release upgrades.  Is there anything else I can check or do proactively to try and fix, or make sure it's fixed already, this 'clean_database' routine that's been unhappy for so long?

-John

Highlighted

@jpjackso

Are there any errors in:

/var/log/nightly_maintenance

/var/log/clean_database

If there are, chances are that the clean database process isn't completing still.  I suggest opening a support case and providing the logs for support to help debug further.

Rob Gin
Highlighted

Actually, I have done that as part of the original case, and I'm still waiting for the engineer to get back to me now with next steps.  He said he needed to work with a higher level of support first, to try and figure out what the problem is.  That was a week or so ago, at this point.  What I'm hoping he'll come back with is instructions for manually doing a definitive cleanup of the database, even if we or I have to leave it for hours or days to complete, if need be.

Highlighted

Understood.  If you happen to have a support case number, I can see about getting a status update.  And possibly help push toward a quicker resolution.

Rob Gin
Highlighted

That would be so nice of you!  :)

Case #1816204

Highlighted

Hm... I got word from support that the issue was resolved hours ago.  Are you still experiencing the clean_database message on the homepage?

Rob Gin
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: