Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave VM Sizing

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  AirWave VM Sizing

Posted Jul 12, 2019 10:22 AM

Hello, good day everyone.

I've been searching in the web for al Aruba AirWave sizing depending on the quantity of APs it will manage and I can't find anything. Can anyone help me to size the VM requierements?

I will install from 18-25 Aruba 345 APs, they can't be Instant because I need to make AP groups for broadcasting different SSIDs in different AP groups.

How can I dimensionate the VM? And another question, does the VM has to be in the same L2 network than the APs? Or can it be in another network that can see the APs network?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AirWave VM Sizing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 10:51 AM

There is a sizing guide here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=32996

The difference between a VM and regular Server hardware is this:  "Aruba recommends a 20% increase buffer for virtual environments. Ensure you allocate enough extra disk space for the OS and swap when partitioning the virtual disk."

- Instant APs can use Zones, to decide what SSIDs are broadcast on which APS.

- The VM does NOT have to be on the same layer 2 network as the APs or controller.

• 3.  RE: AirWave VM Sizing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 10:54 AM

Looking at your small number of APs, you can honestly get away with 4 CPU, 8 gigs of RAM and 100 gigs of space on a VM.

• 4.  RE: AirWave VM Sizing

Posted Jul 12, 2019 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info cjoseph.

About Instant Zones, where can I find it and configure the APs en each zone?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: AirWave VM Sizing

• 6.  RE: AirWave VM Sizing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 11:29 AM

8GB RAM and 4 CPU cores are for HW appliance, irrespective on number of device monitoring, we still recommand 20% more resource allocation if server is installed on VM.

We will see system performance issue with 8GB RAM and 4 cores CPU on VM even with this  AP count.