Network Management

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave and managed 2930F VSF stacks

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  AirWave and managed 2930F VSF stacks

Posted Jan 13, 2019 06:45 AM

I did some research on AirWave and managing 2930F switches, but I cannot find a real answer to my "problem". I have a customer with a bunch of 2930F switches (I guess around 50 switches). The switches will be configured in a greenfield scenario and the switches are used as access switches. ClearPass is used for wired authentication and downloadable user-roles will be pushed to the switches. So most access ports are colorless ports, but some ports will be configured statically in a VLAN.

The access switches are spread across multiple locations and per location, there are multiple SERs. In some SERs, there will be one 2930F switch, in another SER maybe 2 in a VSF stack or maybe 3 in a VSF stack in yet another stack.

I am looking for the best practice set up to manage the switches in AirWave. What is the best way to deploy the configuration via templates? Can I put all switches in the same group? Create a group per location / SER? Create a group for a single switch, a group for a 2 member VSF stack, a group for a 3 member VSF stack?

I would like it to be as easy as possible for the customer to manage his environment. Hope somebody can help.

• 2.  RE: AirWave and managed 2930F VSF stacks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2019 07:15 AM

Airwave Groups are configuration specific, if all the switches have common golden template then you can put all the switches in single group and manage. If you want to push device specific config then you can use Groups>config jobs page

• 3.  RE: AirWave and managed 2930F VSF stacks

Posted Jan 13, 2019 07:24 AM

Hey Pavan, thanks for the quick reply.

What do you define as "common golden template"? Common would be all global configuration, like VLAN database, NTP, AAA configuration, STP config. Device specific would be the interface specific configuration, like names or static VLAN membership, the number of interfaces (the fact that some switches are standalone and some are part of VSF stack) and IP addresses/default gateway configuration.

So you would place all switches in the same group, but different folders? Or would you create multiple groups?

• 4.  RE: AirWave and managed 2930F VSF stacks
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2019 07:39 AM

Yes, common configuraiton across all the switches. We can place all the swtiches in single group and create folder based on their location and move them in to their respective location folder.