Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave failback process

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  AirWave failback process

Posted Aug 13, 2020 11:09 AM

Hi guys,

I have to test the AirWave failover process for my customer. I have been reading the following post:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/How-to-test-AMP-Failover-and-Restore/ta-p/187198

For failing back, the post says:

1. When the primary AMP is back online it will continue monitoring the infrastructure as before

2. Manually make the backup AMP a failover AMP using the following command

amp_restore /var/airwave-backup/watcher/nightly_data.tar.gz

So what happens if the primary AMP is back online and continues monitoring the infrastructure, and I don't make the backup AMP the failover AMP by restoring the nightly backup? Or what happens if I make the backup AMP the failover AMP after 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance,

Julián

• 2.  RE: AirWave failback process
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2020 11:46 AM

Until we manually restore the failover backup, failover server will continue to act as primary and monitor the network even if the actual primary comes up. In this scenario actual primary is not going to be monitored by the failover.
    Failover will be back to failover state and will start to monitor the primary only post the manual backup restore.

• 3.  RE: AirWave failback process

Posted Aug 17, 2020 11:29 AM

Hi Vishnu,

Tonight I tested the HA of my AirWave servers and they behaved as you indicated. When the actual primary server came up, both servers were monitoring the network (like active-active setup) until I manually restored the failover backup on the failover server. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: AirWave failback process

Posted Nov 09, 2022 04:20 PM

May i know what is the behavior Airwave when in Active Active condition? are the users & devices monitoring result for both AW suppose in sync?

I found my Fail over (200++) and Active (500++), is that possible to configure failover return to passive automatically when detect active is online?

• 5.  RE: AirWave failback process

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2022 10:30 AM
    There is no Active-Active Airwave setup. you can have upto 3 AirWave servers monitoring a controller based network. All work as independent servers.
     In this scenario, there is no AirWave to Airwave to sync.

Looks like in your setup, once Failover became active, devices were added to it before making it as Failover. Once Failover becomes Active, it no longer monitors other AirWave servers as it is in Active mode. Only option is to manually make Failover server as passive by restoring Failover backup. you may have to add the 200+ devices manually to main Active server and restore VisualRF backup if any loaded on Failover server and make the failover as Failover again.

------------------------------
    Regards
    Gowri Amujuri
    ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: AirWave failback process

Posted Nov 10, 2022 09:51 PM
    I don't understand why Ariwave Failover is design this way. But since Airwave Failover Server will lost its ability to detect the Primary Active Server once it become active, and unable to switch back to passive mode automatically, will the monitoring result for both server tally? or they are very far apart from each others? If yes, why?