Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

This thread has been viewed 88 times
  • 1.  AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

Posted Nov 22, 2017 10:17 PM

Is there a different "admin" user in the CLI vs AW GUI?  I have a user named "admin" showing in the GUI under AMP Setup->Users.  In fact, that's the user account I use to log into the GUI.  But the same credentials do not work in the Linux CLI.  I can't remember if the AMP install process asked for a special "admin" password (that's unrelated to the GUI admin)?

TIA,

Mike

• 2.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2017 10:24 PM

If this is Airwave 8.2.5, the installation guide details the process here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/26890/Default.aspx

• 3.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

Posted Nov 23, 2017 08:57 AM

Thanks Colin, but all that link did was take me to a bunch of docs.  Not sure where to go from there?

Maybe you can tell me if CLI users are the same as AW (AMP) users?

Thanks,

Mike

• 4.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

Posted Nov 30, 2017 07:47 AM

I got an automated email from AC asking "Did you get the answer you needed?".  NO.

As seems typical on this forum, only Aruba staff reply, and then fail to reply to followup questions  :(  

• 5.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:04 AM

I sent you a link to a list of documents but specified the installation guide. The installation guide details the process you would have gone through, but it of course it does not reveal the password.

You got an answer pointing you to the documentation which honestly should be your first stop when there is a question. The documentation is also included online in the Airwave installation. I am not sure if there are any more answers to give you.

This forum is best-effort, which means anyone can choose to answer or not.  If you have a support contract, they are required to give you answers in a timely fashion.  If that is what you expect, you should open a TAC case.

• 6.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:28 AM

Hi Colin,

My point is that you didn't respond to my follow up questions (to your reply).  That's disappointing, considering you work for Aruba :(  My question still remains - in bold - below.  I was hoping for a quick, direct answer, saving me the time of hunting thru the docs.  And I doubt the docs explain the difference, if any, between CLI user names and AW GUI user names...

Thanks Colin, but all that link did was take me to a bunch of docs.  Not sure where to go from there?

Maybe you can tell me if CLI users are the same as AW (AMP) users?

• 7.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:24 AM

Hi ,

If you have installed 8.2.4 and above verison, it will prompt to setup AMPCLI at end of installation, default 'ampadmin' is the username (you can set username of your own) and password.

If you forgot to proivde password then to recovery the ampadmin password, we need to load AMP in rescue mode using airwave ISO DVD and set the password.

Please open TAC ticket to recovery AMPCLI ampadmin password.

Regards,

Pavan

• 8.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:31 AM

Thanks Pavan!  Are you saying that users listed in the AW GUI cannot be used in the CLI (or is it called AMP CLI?).

• 9.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:33 AM

Hi,

Yes, you cant use the users listed in Airwaver to login to AMP CLI.

Default  ampadmin is the username to login to airwave CLI. If you forgot to setup the password during installation then we need to use Airwave DVD to load system in rescue mode and reset the ampadmin user password.

Regards,

Pavan

• 10.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:43 AM

Thanks Pavan - that was the info I needed!  I did remember the password I assigned during AMP install.  The problem was the user name - I was trying to log in as just "admin" instead of "ampadmin"...

Is there an easy way to add a new user to the AMP via AW GUI?  cOr do I have to use the CLI?  If so, is it easy to do using CLI?  I'll never remember "ampadmin" - so I want to create a more normal "admin" user...

• 11.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:50 AM

Mike,

If you want to reset the username of AMP CLI then we need to use airwave DVD to load in rescue mode and reset the username and password.

We can not edit AMP CLI user from Airwave GUI.

Regards,

Pavan

• 12.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:53 AM

Thanks, but that sounds too complicated and time intensive :(  I'll just rename my ESXi host to include "ampadmin" in the title :)

• 13.  RE: AirWave newbie: Can't login to CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2017 09:43 AM

Hi ,

I understand but in future release we are making enahancment to recovery the password without going through rescue mode.

Regards,

Pavan