Network Management

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

This thread has been viewed 120 times
  • 1.  Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Nov 01, 2019 08:18 AM

Goodday all,

Just updated from 8.2.8 tot 8.2.10.0.
    Everything went well, but not the centos.
    Can somebody tell how to do this?

In the release note you have build a new one. Is that true?

Thank you in advance!

• 2.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 01, 2019 09:58 AM

Yes- while there is a "Upgrade OS" within the CLI menus it only upgrades to the latest minor version (6.9 or 6.10), not the major version.  To obtain a new "CentOS 7" version you have to build it again - the OVA file contains the new version if used to build a new instance.  A hardware AW upgrade would be similar in process but we would have to build it from scratch (install the OS first, then use the .iso file for the AW install) on the same box after copying off the backup file.

To upgrade CentOS for Airwave the process in the Release Notes is correct:

1. First, upgrade your live AW to 8.2.10.0.  This upgrades the databases so they can be restored later in the steps.
    2. Backup this live AW and copy off this backup file somewhere
      1. (CLI) Backup > Backup Now. 
        1. (GUI) To grab the "nightly" or "weekly" backups - if you've waited long enough since the upgrade to 8.2.10.0 so they can run since your upgrade - go to System > Backups
      2. Command line for SCP from AW (don't use Solarwinds SFTP/SCP Server as it doesn't like the encryption ciphers... OpenSSH in Linux works well) (This step is the most difficult in terms of getting the SCP server running, reachable, and the syntax correct):
        1. If I had a "awbackupfolder" folder on my Linux box on the Desktop for a user named "username", I would reference the existing folder as relatively from my login directory: Desktop/awbackupfolder/  (the trailing "/" is optional here)
        2. The CLI SCP syntax cannot take the "~" tilde character so reference the folder in another way
        3. username@192.168.21.21:Desktop/awbackupfolder/
      3. Power off the AW server (we'll need the new box to have the same IP because AW licenses are tied to it)
    3. Build a new AW server with the right storage, cpu, and memory requirements.  This is a good opportunity to increase hard disk size if you've been holding off.
      1. Building from OVA file will install the CentOS 7 version.
      2. To login to the newly deployed box, use the default: user = root and password = admin
      3. Use the same basic startup-script info as before, keeping the same IPs
      4. You will need a complex password.  Store it somewhere safe: this is your CLI and your WebUI password for "admin" login
    4. Once the box is up, from the CLI copy over the backup file via SCP.
      1. Files > Upload
        1. username@192.168.21.21:Desktop/awbackupfolder/ampbackup_date_time.tar.gz
    5. Now restore from the backup.
      1. Backup > Restore > AMP Restore, select the file.  Sometimes the numbers don't match what you type - I think due to hidden files (.digest files).  Make sure it is the right one (it should be the only one here)
      2. VisualRF backup file is already contained in the AW Backup file, so there isn't a need to do that restore separately.
    6. Log in to the system after it is up with the new password.  Perform basic checks that information is still flowing correctly.
    7. Delete the old virtual machine once everything is running fine.
    8. Have a cup of coffee.

• 3.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Nov 01, 2019 11:17 AM
    Spoiler
    Thank you Ryh,

That went very well!

Goodday!

• 4.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Nov 05, 2019 09:39 AM

Hi,

for me,this is not really an upgrade path.

Is engineer working for a really upgrade procedure ?

so when you upgrade an existing airwave to the 8.2.10. version, the centos is also upgraded to version 7 .

• 5.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2019 11:10 AM

When we upgrade the exsisting Airwave to 8.2.10 only the application part will be upgraded and not the CentOS part. CentOS will still be 6.9. We need to use the iso/ova and do a fresh install of 8.2.10 to get CentOS 7 installed.

• 6.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Nov 05, 2019 11:18 AM

Only by installing it fresh does the CentOS 7 get installed.  The normal upgrade procedure will upgrade AW (aka AMP) but not its underlying OS - it will only update CentOS to version 6.9 or 6.10.

While it is inconvenient, this is a good opportunity to re-scale the VM at this time if you have a need.  I have many customers that are running AW servers that are underscoped now because their deployments grew or applications grew since initial installation, who will now address this.

• 7.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Nov 12, 2019 03:38 PM

can i upgrade from 8.2.6 to 8.2.10 using option 7. then do the CentOS 7 refresh at a later date?

• 8.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2019 03:50 PM

You have to go to version 8.2.8.x first then to 8.2.10. You can refer the release note for reference.

• 9.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Jan 05, 2020 11:33 AM

What happens if we upgraded to 8.2.10 and kept using CentOS 6.9 or 6.10?

• 10.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2020 12:37 PM

Nothing will happen. However, moving forward all the Airwave version will be released on CentOS 7. Hence, we have to migrate if we have to go to latest releases.

• 11.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2020 05:44 AM

If you continue using Centos 6.7 version, you wont be able to upgrade server to latest future code. We stop supporting Centos 6.x, need to migrate to Centos7 version to get continues support.

• 12.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 26, 2020 05:24 AM

One important thing is to use the ISO, and not the OVA for installing AirWave. The OVA is for small eval only, not production use.

So in summary:

Upgrade your current AirWave to 8.2.10.x.

Make note of IP and licenses (or migrate on ASP)

Backup and transfer off backup to external server

Install fresh AirWave on same 8.2.10.x version you upgraded to

Transfer backup to new server, and restore, and re-add licenses.

Upgrade to later versions like 8.2.11.x etc.

• 13.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Dec 02, 2020 12:18 PM
    I tried out this way, but when I log back into the server there's no data. Also tried to install licenses first without any luck.

------------------------------
    Fredrik Lehmann

• 14.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2020 12:44 PM

Hi Fredrik,

Could you be a bit more specific. Is it like after upgrade from 8.2.x to 8.2.10.1 you are not seeing any data or after migration from Cent6 to 7 you are not seeing any data? If its post migration, did we was the backup restore successful?

Regards,

Vishnu Mannil

• 15.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Dec 04, 2020 04:23 AM
    Hi Vishnu!
    After migration.
    These are my steps:
    - Original server runs on 8.10.2.0
    - Installed an new Airwave server with CentOS 7 same version same IP address.
    - Backed up my original server, moved file over to another server, shut down original server.
    - Copied backup file on to my new server
    - Tried to restore from menu
    - After a while it said "Checking disk space..."
    - Then it just timed out
    - Installed my licenses on my new server
    - Run a new restore, waited 15 minutes after complete. Logged inn, no data. Rebooted system
    - Logged inn again, no data and no licenses present.
    - Did a new restore, still no data.

Regards
    /Fredrik

Fredrik Lehmann

• 16.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2020 08:27 AM
    Did we notice any error while restoring or did it come back with message restore successful? I would suggest a TAC case so that we can try restore using support user and also check the DB and logs meantime.

Regards,

Vishnu Mannil

• 17.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Dec 04, 2020 09:20 AM

Hi! Yes I think we need to contact TAC.
    Tried again from the VMware console and had a ssh session open also. Ran "top" when the restore took place and saw that gzip worked at a hard pace. When it was finished it went back to the menu. No output from the restore job.

The tar.gz file I aprox 8 GB zipped and about 64 GB unpacked.

Fredrik Lehmann

• 18.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

Posted Dec 06, 2020 03:46 AM
    This is why

Fri Dec 4 14:19:46 CET 2020] If you are restoring the backup on new AMP server, please make sure the disk space is equal or higher than the disk space from the AMP server where the backup is taken.
    [Fri Dec 4 14:19:46 CET 2020] Checking available disk space ...
    [Fri Dec 4 14:30:51 CET 2020] The 20G /var/log partition is not big enough to hold 19G of data from the backup.
    [Fri Dec 4 14:30:51 CET 2020] Please prune data from the backup and try again. Contact Customer Support for help.

So now we have to figure out how to prune these logs.

Fredrik Lehmann

• 19.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2020 03:55 AM
    Hi Fedrik,

That's right cent7 have only 20GB allocated for /var/log. So if the old backup have big size for /var/log we will face this. If you still have the old server up TAC can help clean up and take a new backup if not TAC can help to restore in lab clear it and give u new backup.

Vishnu Mannil

• 20.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2022 06:08 AM
    Hello everyone,

thanks for the very useful info in this post!

In my case I will upgrade from 8.2.8.2 to 8.2.10.1, then migrate from CentOS6 to CentOS7 and then upgrade from 8.2.10.1 to 8.2.13.1.

However, during the migration, the new virtual machine will have a new IP address. Can there be problems? I know the licensing issue, other problems?

Thank you in advance!

• 21.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2022 07:05 AM
    Having new IP for newly installed virtual machine during migration will not have any issues. After migration either you can shutdown old server and assing old ip to new server or regenerate license with new Ip.

Pavan Arshewar
    Principal Network Engineer

If my post addresses your query, give kudos!

• 22.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2022 08:01 AM
    ok, thanks Pavan for your quick reply.
    After migration, the new ip address will remain (the old ip address will be deleted).
    The Airwave instance that I will have to migrate manages various IAPs (VirtualControllers), does the change of IP give a disservice to the connected clients?

Thanks you!

• 23.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.0 upgrade centos 6 to 7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2022 11:48 AM
    Airwave IP change does not affect the network. However, once the IP is changed, you need to point the new Airwave IP to the IAPs.

Gowri Sankar Amujuri