Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

This thread has been viewed 53 times
  • 1.  Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

Posted Mar 08, 2020 03:20 PM

HI Airheads,

My customer has just deployed clean install of AMP 8.2.10.1 on CENTOS 7 and is now reporting that the /var/log/ partition is showing at 100% usage on both primary and failover AMP servers. 

Can this be tweaked from GUI or do we need TAC to resize this particular file partition?

• 2.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 08, 2020 07:37 PM

@scottdoorey wrote: ...the /var/log/ partition is showing at 100% usage on both primary and failover AMP servers.

Not an expert on AirWave but, since it was deployed [*] on a fresh CentOS 7 would be interesting to understand why /var/log mount point is at 0% free space (are there log/debug files wasting all the space?) and how the disk was exactly configured during CentOS 7 installation (auto-partitioning with LVM? manual partitioning? what disk size? what mount point sizes? )...for sure Aruba TAC will be able to help you but I suspect they will check those details too or ask questions above first...so doing a little basic troubleshooting would help for sure (and, maybe, at best you could end up solving your own issue with your own hands).

[*] IIRC AirWave could be deployed via ISO or OVA...in any case the CentOS 7 OS in included and, AFAIK, disk partitioning (with LVM) and filesystems setting for various necessary mountpoints are created automatically during first boot (see as example what was posted here, "Step 4" found at half of the entire web page)...so I presume the specific /var/log mountpoint size is probably tied to (as a preset % of) the provided (v)Disk whole size.

• 3.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

Posted Mar 09, 2020 04:02 PM

it was deployed as a clean install  using the 8.2.10.1 ISO so whatever the issue is my guess is it's embedded in the default install script.

the partition was a couple of hundred MB on an 800GB volume so i suspect it just needs to be expanded. Just wanted to see if others had the issue before engaging TAC. 

• 4.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

Posted Mar 09, 2020 04:03 PM

i wonder if its a misconfigured log level as the failover server is effectively doing nothing and still has fully consumed the log volume

• 5.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2020 12:05 PM

We would need TAC help for this. We need to get to the shell and check the directories filled up and also if any logging is enabled. Also, for LVM resizing we need shell access.

• 6.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

Posted Mar 16, 2020 04:50 AM

thanks vishnu, we will contact TAC

• 7.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2020 05:34 AM

Scott, We had recently seen an issue where the Kernel logs filling up the /var/log.
    I suspect this should be the same. We have a work around to fix this by editing the IPtables. TAC will have the steps and can help you with it.

• 8.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

Posted May 20, 2022 01:28 PM
    We had this same issue in December last year, TAC cleaned up space down to 22% or so and the last month or so I am using cleanup from the CLI to keep it under 80%.  I am on code 8.2.12.1 so it seems there is still an issue.  Does anyone know if this is a code issue, or do I just need to contact TAC again?

------------------------------
    Darren RIchards

• 9.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2022 03:06 PM
    Start by contacting TAC.  They would know...,

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 10.  RE: Airwave 8.2.10.1 - /var/log @ 100%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2022 05:26 AM
    We have known issue DE35380 log rotation not happening properly and it is addressed in 8.2.14.0, upgrade server to latest code.

Pavan Arshewar
    Principal Network Engineer

If my post addresses your query, give kudos!