Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave 8.2.11.1 Switch Type showing as AP in Topology

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Airwave 8.2.11.1 Switch Type showing as AP in Topology

Posted Aug 26, 2020 06:55 PM

I have several switches (admittedly old ones) that are showing up in the AirWave topology as Access Points instead of switches.

Is this a case of unrecognized equipment (again because of their age) defaulting to AP as the type?

Is there any way to change the type in the topology so that my filtering makes more sense?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Airwave 8.2.11.1 Switch Type showing as AP in Topology

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2020 01:29 PM

What is the device type showing up under the device monitor page on Airwave.

• 3.  RE: Airwave 8.2.11.1 Switch Type showing as AP in Topology

Posted Aug 27, 2020 04:25 PM

It's showing as the model: Aruba 5406zl.

All of the monitoring seems to be working correctly, I have the modules listed in the GUI and I can see connected hardware, etc. It's just in the Topology that it's showing as an AP.

• 4.  RE: Airwave 8.2.11.1 Switch Type showing as AP in Topology

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2020 04:29 PM

I would suggest opening a TAC case so that they can check the backend and report to engineering if needed.

• 5.  RE: Airwave 8.2.11.1 Switch Type showing as AP in Topology

Posted Aug 28, 2020 12:37 PM

In case anyone notices this issue later, I did contact the TAC and we worked it out.

Technically the older HP switches (pre-2530) are not supported in Airwave, though they kind of work. The switches imported as generic "Aruba Device", and though they had switching UIs in the Device monitor screen, they were listed as APs in the Topology.

We changed the type of some of them to "Router/Switch" and the Topology was fixed but the lighter-weight, generic UI in the device monitor had so much less functionality that I had them switch it back.

Just something to now going forward.