Network Management

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Oct 08, 2017 10:01 PM

Can anyone confirm that Airwave 8.2.4.1 is supported under Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V?

Is "Legacy Network Adapter" still required?

The Airwave installation guide only mentions up to windows Server 2012(R2).

Searching this forum only shows similar request regarding Clearpass, nothing for Airwave.

• 2.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2017 02:01 PM

I checked around, and both QA and support have not tried to run the install on 2016.  If you happen to install on Hyper-V 2016 successfully, support will still attempt to help with AirWave issues.  It's a 50/50 shot if you still need the legacy adapters - I would think to try using legacy adapters since that was the previous recommendation.  I'll add getting this setup configured to the next round of Hyper-V testing.

• 3.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Oct 18, 2017 01:09 AM

We went ahead and installed Airwave v8.2.5 in Hyper-V 2016.

Although we haven't started monitoring/managing any network devices yet, I can report that everything seems fine so far and the Web GUI is accessible as expected.

• 4.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Nov 28, 2017 03:47 PM

can you please indicate how you managed to install it in hyper-v 2016, I could not

• 5.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Nov 28, 2017 04:57 PM

Just by following the installation guide. But note that by the time we did the install 8.2.5 was released, so we never tried with 8.2.4.

It was installed as a Gen 1 VM.

• 6.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Nov 29, 2017 06:25 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much, tomorrow I will perform the installation

• 7.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 11:12 AM

I was hoping to avoid any issues by going with v8.2.6 but after 3 attempts I've made no progress. Each time the initial install script seems to fall over at the 'Setting admin username' stage...

If you hard boot the VM it'll come back up and appears to run though the install script but, because something fundamental hasn't happened in the permissions the NIC never comes up and there's no access to the Web-GUI.

Anyone out there have success with this version and Hyper-V on Server 2016? I've tried with both the legacy network adapter and the regular option...

• 8.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 06:39 PM

I was discussing this with a coworker and we had a few questions.

1) the output message sounds like it's from the install log, do you jump to alt+f9 during the install when it shows the keypress?

2) the message is from the interactive part of the setup for the ampadmin (ampcli user that replaces root) - do you ever see the input fields for username / password?

If you're viewing the log, you should be able to jump back to the interactive input request with alt+f1.  So if #2 sounds new - it's mostly because the tail log screen is just that - an output to stdout on that view output of the install log.  Or you could just run a new install - and ignore that prompt to jump screens to watch the logging - which might be the next step if you happened to blow the original install instance away already.

• 9.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Apr 26, 2018 06:29 AM

Cheers Rob!

Rookie mistake!! I'm not that familiar with the linux world and it never occurred to me that the install script was waiting for my input!

Got past that issue and everything looked good but having trouble with bringing the interface up. There isn't a lot of troubleshooting that can be done now that the shell is restricted but I do know that I can't ping anything except for the IP address that I've assigned...

D.

• 10.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 09:55 AM

You're running your ping test from your laptop?  Or you're running the ping from the AMPCLI?

This article describes some of the debug tools in 8.2.6

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Network-Management/AMP-Tip-8-2-6-AMPCLI-Enter-Commands-1-basic-network/td-p/392806

There's ping, traceroute, nslookup, tcpdump, ifconfig, and ip route commands from within the Enter Commands menu.

• 11.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Apr 26, 2018 10:18 AM

Thanks Rob,

I found your article earlier (very helpful!) & I've been testing connectivity from a number of sources, Hyper-V host, core switch, my machine etc., all with the same result. I had gone through the troubleshooting tools on the box also with limited success. Tcpdump shows that the interface is up and packets are getting there but being dropped for some reason:

10.0.99.10 - Remote Desktop Connection 2018-04-26 15.07.58.jpg

When I look at the ifconfig everything confirms this:10.0.99.10 - Remote Desktop Connection 2018-04-26 15.12.29.jpgThis machine is connected to a virtual switch which is uplinked to the core switch on an access port with the management VLAN untagged so there's less to go wrong there!

D.

• 12.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Apr 27, 2018 09:10 AM

UPDATE: I'm up and running. I blew my machine away and rebuilt with a regular Virtual Network Adapter and not the Legacy adapter. All behaving well now!

Thanks for your assistance.

• 13.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 12:34 AM

Is it that after rebooting Hyper-V you are not able to ping it? Like after reboot you get 4 to 5 ping response then it goes to host unreachable?

• 14.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Apr 26, 2018 07:03 AM

Hi Vishnu,

I'm getting a few more pings but otherwise you've described my new issue exactly. It seems that the IP configuration has been applied to the interface correctly but perhaps somethings happening with IPTABLES as the system comes up?

10.0.99.10 - Remote Desktop Connection 2018-04-26 12.00.33.jpg

• 15.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 07:18 AM

Could you check whether irqbalance is in ON or OFF state? If it is in ON state could you try turing it off and check? You can follow the below,

To check the status of irqbalance

# chkconfig | grep irqb

If it is showing ON for the output. We can use the below command to turn it off

# chkconfig irqbalance off

# reboot

Let me know how it goes.

• 16.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4.1 support under Hyper-V 2016 ?

Posted Apr 26, 2018 07:32 AM

Hi Vishnu,

I'm afraid that the restricted shell doesn't allow me to run those commands :-(

I'll probably have to log a case with TAC to get past this. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for taking the time to help.

D.