Network Management

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 15, 2017 11:04 AM

I have recently upgraded Airwave to 8.2.4.  I have IAP 225 and IAP 205's and Netgear switches added to Airwave.  This new version is supposed to automatically populate a Topology map in the Home/Topology tab.   However, mine is empty.  How do I get it to populate?

Don Demars

• 2.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 11:27 AM

Hi,

User with Admin role can view topology. Have you logged in as admin user?

Regards,

Pavan

• 3.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 15, 2017 11:36 AM
    Yes, I am logged in with Admin role and the Topology Map is empty.

Sincerely,

Don Demars
    Network Technician II
    Rochester School District
    CIC Department
    Rochester, NH 03867
    Demars.d@rochesterschools.com

• 4.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 16, 2017 03:20 AM

I assumed there was something I needed to do for items to show under Topology and hadn't had a real chance to look at it.If it is suppose to auto poulate then mine is blank too. I am aslo logged in as admin. 

• 5.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 07:36 AM

Hi,

AirWave looks at the devices and links in your network and then puts them in an interactive topology map. In top right corner search option in home>topology tab, are you seeing list of device in drop down list and also make sure devices been selected in filter.

ALE.PNG

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addresses your query give kudos:)

• 6.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 16, 2017 03:35 PM

I have several switches and a router in Airwave in AP's/Devices.

However none of them show up in the Locate Devices dropdown in Home\Topology.  Also, if I set the View to Filter, all of the device types (except for AP) are selected.  Still my little topology window is blank.  I even tried selecting AP in the Filter, but nothing shows up.

Don

• 7.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 17, 2017 05:51 PM
    Same issue with Crisco and Juniper switches loaded into AirWave.
    I've got an open ticket with TAC, but it looks like they can't get it to work there either. The ticket's been almost a week with no progress as they can't get it to work either. Even tried updating the mibs still no luck.

The feature looked really nice at the Atmosphere demo, but haven't seen it in the wild.

• 8.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2017 08:12 AM

Hi,

We need to see neighbours in device's monitor page in Airwave to display topology in home>topology page.Make sure LLDP and CDP is enabled on devices.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addresses your query give kudos:)

• 9.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 23, 2017 10:41 AM

Have them enabled still no topo and still no response from TAC for resolution.

I did talk to another engineer who said this is a known issue and at least part of the issue is being adressed in the next point release.

• 10.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi,

Are you seeing neighbour data in APs/Device>monitor page of controller or switch in Airwave?

Are you using snmpv3 ?

Regards,

pavan

• 11.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 23, 2017 03:13 PM

SNMP v2, Is v3 a requirement? 

In the switches show cdp neighbors and show lldp neighbors works fine. 

• 12.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2017 05:10 AM

We can use snmp v2 and v3 to monitor devices in Airwave. If we are seeing all the neighbours list in switch's APs/Device>monitor page in Airwave then it should display topology image, have you tried toggle between pages and checked the status?

If you are OK, try restart the services once and check the status.

I believe we have issue when we use snmpv3  but its working fine for v2 version.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addressess your query give kudos:)

• 13.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 26, 2017 06:04 PM

Tried restarting, rebooting, and navigating to and away from the page. 

Connected devices is showing up but neighbors is not. 

• 14.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2017 04:18 AM

Hi,

If we are not seeing neighbours in APs/Device>monitor page then it wont show topology, could you cross check wether CDP/LLDP is enabled on devices.

If above settings enabled but still neighbours not showing in Airwave then check wether CDP Neighbor Data Polling Period and  Device to Device link is enabled or not in Groups>Basic>SNMP polling interval section.

Regards,

Pavan

• 15.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 27, 2017 06:45 AM

this issue is also happening in the SEEL demo airwave server. sounds like a bug. I assume the SEEL server is configured to support topology?

• 16.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2017 07:25 AM

Hi,

I am seeing topology on internal demo server, so looking those settings helps to narraow down the issue.

ALE.PNG

Regards,

Pavan

• 17.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jul 03, 2017 11:45 PM

hey pavan, 

did you have any luck finding the issue on the SEEL server?

Scott

• 18.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jul 05, 2017 07:09 AM

Hi all

Almost same issue at our internal and two customer setups. HPE Aruba Switches 2930F, Aruba WLC 7210, 7005, 7010 and HPE Comware like 5130 or 5700.

But I can't see the neighbour devices in the detail page. But lldp is enabled on all devices and they can see each other...

Best Regards

Marc

• 19.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jul 15, 2017 12:15 PM

I was having a similar issues with topology and our juniper ex4300s. I'm still troubleshooting, but I am able to get topology to populate when I deleted the switch from airwave. I re-added it as a generic router/switch with snmpv2 and topology populated. Hopefully this helps someone else

• 20.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jul 19, 2017 08:00 PM

Thanks for sharing on the ex4300s.

I tried that, but it detects that its a Juniper device and changes the type. Same result on EX3200, EX3300 and EX4200.

TAC ticket for this issue open for over a month now with no response. 

• 21.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jul 20, 2017 03:06 AM

Adding a generic router/switch will not help for all models,  

airwave will move to respective device model category for supported device models. 

We will have LLDP support for more devices  in 8.2.5. which will be solving this issue.

• 22.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jun 27, 2017 09:28 AM

It sounds as if there are a lot of undocumented requirements for Topology to work. The User Guide only tells you how to use it and assumes that it will just work.

Is there an official Aruba document that describes what needs to be in place in order for Topology to work?

Sincerely,

Don 

• 23.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jul 19, 2017 10:34 AM

v3 is not a requirement.  

If both devices are showing neighbors each other in device monitoring page , topology should display it as connected.

Also poll both devices manually two times if still its not showing in topology

• 24.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Jul 19, 2017 10:31 AM

Please try the below steps if you see devices are not showing in topology. 

• Verify neighboring device is managed by AMP
    • Verify both devices are showing neighbors each other in monitoring page
    • Verify switch/router interfaces are listed.. Go to Device Monitoring > interfaces page
    • Do manual poll two times successfully.
    • login as Admin user
    • For Non Cisco/HP/Aruba switches routes if neighboring table is not populating, try adding it as generic router/switch and see neighboring table is populating.
    • If neighboring details are not showing in device monitor page and is using snmpv3, try changing to snmpv2

Note : Stadalone Devices or devices where no neighbors are managed by AMP  will not be shown in topology.

• 25.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 07:48 AM

The same is happening for me.  I have just upgraded and the topology map just shows grey with the moving bar in the centre to show it's working.

We have Juniper and Arube APs, aruba and juniper controllers plus HP/Aruba switches.

• 26.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 08:40 AM

Please try the below steps if you see devices are not showing in topology. 

• Verify neighboring device is managed by AMP
    • Verify both devices are showing neighbors each other in monitoring page
    • Verify switch/router interfaces are listed.. Go to Device Monitoring > interfaces page
    • Do manual poll two times successfully.
    • login as Admin user
    • For Non Cisco/HP/Aruba switches routes if neighboring table is not populating, try adding it as generic router/switch and see neighboring table is populating.
    • If neighboring details are not showing in device monitor page and is using snmpv3, try changing to snmpv2

Note : Stadalone Devices or devices where no neighbors are managed by AMP  will not be shown in topology.

• 27.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 08:56 AM
    So hopefully this will be resolved in 8.2.5.
    HPE engineers have confirmed that this is a defect. Interesting I've installed 8.2.4 and 8.2.4.1 in many locations. The only one that worked did not have any Aruba or HPE switches. Even at sites that did have HPE switches with 21 firmware it didn't work.

Hopefully we'll see this feature in 8.4.5.

• 28.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 09:05 AM

please raise a tac case to investigate this issue. HP switches its suppose to work.  If there is any specific issue, we can include the fix in 8.2.5.

Please raise a tac case.

• 29.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 09:50 AM
    Unfortunately, I did have tickets open.

After a month and a half of TAC digging through the logs snmp walks etc the answer was it's a defect that should be addressed in 8.2.5.

• 30.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 09:12 AM
    Do we know when 8.2.5 will be out?

Sincerely,

Don

• 31.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 10:07 AM

8.2.5 may get released on second half of september 2017

• 32.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 10:13 AM

Hi,

Yes all the devices are up and show their neighbours but it may be relevant that because Airwave doesn't support full monitoring of our routers, none of the switches directly connect to each other, so I guess the topology map would be useless anyway.  Our APs connect to the switches though, so I would have thought it could make those connections.

• 33.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 16, 2017 12:01 PM

we can add any switch router which support standard MIBs on LLDP  as device category "switch/Router"  and can get the neighboring device details.  topology will start showing for these devices in 8.2.5 

• 34.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 17, 2017 03:37 AM

That's interesting, I added one of my extreme switches like that and it didn't populate the LLDP neighbours or interface details, all of which are available via RFC MIBs.  I will have another go and give it a bit longer to see if it works them out.

• 35.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 17, 2017 03:45 AM

Update: I must have done somethign stupid, it worked fine straight away when I tried again!  Thanks for the comment so I had another go. :o)

(Still nothing on the topology map though, I will wait for 8.2.5)

• 36.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Aug 17, 2017 04:28 AM

it usually take two poll to get the complete neighboring data. When you add new devices,   please do poll two times manually and wait for a  minute to get the neighboring table populated

• 37.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Oct 11, 2017 11:16 AM

Just upgraded to 8.2.5 and the topology map is still not working.  Did 8.2.5 fix the problem for anyone else?

• 38.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Oct 12, 2017 03:06 AM

Please do two successful polls, verify neighboring tables in device monitoring page, if neighbors are listed and topology is not showing, please try the below workaround mentioned in 8.2.5 release notes

DE30093 Symptom: The topology map might not be updated when AirWave discovers new devices.
    Scenario: This issue occurs if AirWave discovers the devices' MAC addresses only after discovering the
    interfaces.
    Workaround: Following these steps to force AirWave to poll the network for updates:
    1. Click Poll Now on the device monitoring page.
    2. Go to System > Status, then click Restart AMP to restart the AMP services.
    3. After the AMP services, poll the device again.

• 39.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Oct 12, 2017 09:30 AM

I have tried polling all devices, restarting the AMP services, and performing a second poll and all the Topology screen shows is a progress bar in the middle.  I just upgraded to 8.2.5 yesterday.  Our entire infrastructure is HPE / Aruba.   Some of our Aruba 2540 series switches show every device as a "Neighbor" rather than a connected "device" when looking at "Monitor" for that switch in Airwave, I wonder if this is part of the problem?

• 40.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Oct 12, 2017 01:27 PM

Second that, still no topo map for any of the Juniper switches.

Tried the poll, restart, poll and still nothing populates.

Switches can see neighbor devices no problem.

• 41.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Oct 13, 2017 05:32 AM

• 42.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted May 07, 2018 02:49 PM

I am up to 8.2.6.  Topology is still not working for me

• 43.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted May 08, 2018 11:11 AM

Yeah, still seems to be broken.

For Juniper switches I've had some luck adding the management-addres to protocols lldp.

edit protocols lldp

set management-address <Switch IP>

set ptopo-configuration-trap-interval 1200

set lldp-configuration-notification-interval 3600

port-id-subtype interface-name

neighbour-port-info-display port-id

interface all

I've also started standing up seperate LibreNMS instance for the Network Map when the topology map doesn't work. I like the Airwave Topo map much better, especially when looking at spanning tree issues. 

• 44.  RE: Airwave 8.2.4 Topology Map is empty

Posted Oct 13, 2017 05:31 AM

Please raise a tac ticket to troubleshoot further.