Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

Posted Mar 18, 2016 10:54 AM

Hi All,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue for us.  We have Airwave setup to send us device down alerts for our APs, they are configured to send an e-mail that looks like the one below:

"Device Down: Down Events >= 1 for 1 hour and Minutes Down Threshold >= 5 minutes
    Severity: Normal
    Time: Thu Mar 17 16:02:41 2016

Device: AP### - https://<servername>
    Additional Info: Down Events >= 1 for 1 hour and Minutes Down Threshold >= 5 minutes
    Group: <Group name>
    Folder: Top

Our AP names are rather generic so having the "Location" information on these message would be very useful.  However, the location field always comes through as blank in these e-mails.  Airwave is set as Monitor Only for our APs/devices and we've filled in the "SNMP Location" field when provisioning the APs on the mobility controller but that doesn't seem to have done anything for us.  Is there somewhere within Airwave we can define locations for our APs so that we can see the Location in our AMP alerts?

Thanks,

Steve

• 2.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 04:53 PM

Location comes from the sysLocation OID when you add a device.  If you know your device should have a location reported, you can go to that device's manage page and perform an 'Import Settings' which would refresh name, location, and contact details.

To test, you can login to your AMP CLI and run a test walk to your controller:

# s2w <ip of controller> <community string> sysLocation

Example:

[root@airwave mercury]# s2w 10.10.10.100 public sysLocation
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 = STRING: Server-Lab

The above helps for switches and controllers.  For APs, you want to go to the AP's manage page, and then update the 'Location' field (under Settings box).

• 3.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 05:38 PM

To add to what rgin said, you can manage this parameter either at the controller, or in Airwave.  In the controller if you go to configuration> wireless> AP installation, the SNMP System Location Field is where you would provision this:

location-controller.PNG

After the AP reboots, airwave automatically populates the location field:

location-airwave.PNG

Again, based in your workflow, you can either use Airwave or the Controller to populate the Location..

• 4.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

Posted Mar 21, 2016 11:49 AM

Colin and Rob,

Thanks for the quick replies!  I have set the SNMP System Location value for the APs when provisioning on the controller but it doesn't seem to be carrying over into AirWave.  The other thing I notice is that when I select an AP and get to the "Manage" page as Rob mentioned I don't have a "Location" field (see screenshot below).

awv.jpg

Is there another setting within Airwave which needs to be set to allow this field to be visible?  We were running AirWave versions 8.x and this issue has existed all along.  We've upgraded to 8.0.11.1 last week and see the same behavior.

Thanks,

Steve

• 5.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2016 12:01 PM

Do you have that device under "Manage" instead of "Monitor"?

• 6.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

Posted Mar 21, 2016 01:50 PM

Hi Colin,

When I look at the device under the "Monitor" tab it shows me that "This device is in monitor-only mode".  All of our APs are configured for monitor only at this time. 

Thanks,

Steve

• 7.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2016 02:17 PM

What version of AirWave are you running?  I see it available in 8.2_BETA_F, but not in 8.0.8.1.  So it may have been that the field for APs was only recently enabled.

• 8.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2016 02:42 PM

My screenshot was from Airwave 8.0.11 with an AP225 on monitor.

• 9.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

Posted Mar 21, 2016 03:15 PM

Rob,

I am running the same as Colin, AMP 8.0.11.1 with AP225.

Thanks,

Steve

• 10.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2016 04:16 PM

Looks like the next step is to wait for 8.2 general release (end of March / early April).  If you need it in advance, you can inquire through AirWave PLM to get beta access.

• 11.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

Posted Mar 22, 2016 03:39 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for 8.2 GA in the coming weeks.  I'll post back here and let you know if that resolved this for us.

Thanks,
    Steve

• 12.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

Posted May 11, 2016 03:33 PM

Hi Rob,

We've just upgraded to AirWave 8.2.0.2 but I am still not seeing the "Location" field on the "Manage" tab for our APs:Screen1.jpgAny additional insight on this?

Thanks,

Steve

• 13.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2016 04:38 PM

Hm, should be there.  How is your AMP User account defined?  AMP Setup -> Users, AMP Setup -> Roles.  I see it on my test AMP, but I'm also using an admin acct.

• 14.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

Posted May 12, 2016 09:06 AM

Hi Rob,

We are using an AMP Administrator account also (screen capture below):

Screen2.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

• 15.  RE: Airwave AMP Alerts Location Field

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2016 04:58 PM

That's strange behavior.  Please open a support case as the location field should be there on the manage page.