Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave - Aruba AP's on Cisco Switches

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave - Aruba AP's on Cisco Switches

Posted Sep 13, 2018 12:05 PM

We're working on getting our main infrastructure into Airwave for our central offices.  For most buildings, we have Aruba/HPE/Procurve switches with Aruba AP's.  For the clients at those sites, we can trace the client to the AP, then through the switches.  For one building that uses Cisco switches, the AP's don't show the Cisco switch as the upstream device.  Everything is in Airwave, it just doesn't seem to be able to connect the two together like it did for the Procurve switches.  Am I missing a step somewhere?

• 2.  RE: Airwave - Aruba AP's on Cisco Switches

Posted Sep 13, 2018 12:21 PM

Hi,

just a guess...

Most other vendors use LLDP for topology discovery.

Cisco by default uses CDP.

Did you enable LLDP on your cisco switches?

If not, then your ciscoes do not see the APs as their neighbors. Not sure if the APs list the ciscoes.

At least Aruba/Procurve switches listen to cdp by default and add this information to their lldp based topology tables.

So, enable LLDP globally and enable lldp tx/rx on all interfaces and give it a try.

Kind regards, Jörg

• 3.  RE: Airwave - Aruba AP's on Cisco Switches

Posted Sep 13, 2018 12:41 PM

Thanks for the info, but we already have LLDP enabled on the Cisco switches.  If I pull up the switch in Airwave, it shows that it is detecting the AP under Neighbors:

20:A6:CD:C8:11:10
    bond0
    GigabitEthernet1/0/43
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 315), Version Aruba AP
    WLAN Access Point

I can click on the MAC address and it takes me to the AP in Airwave.  It's just not populating the topology I think?

Thanks,  Jason

• 4.  RE: Airwave - Aruba AP's on Cisco Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 12:16 PM

What AMP version?  What Cisco switch model / firmware?  Anything in System -> Status -> Topology log?

I suggest opening a TAC case.  I know we have seen setups with Cisco Catalyst switches working, so depending on your responses above, I'd expect topology to be working.

• 5.  RE: Airwave - Aruba AP's on Cisco Switches

Posted Sep 14, 2018 02:35 PM

It's actually working today.  I suppose it may take several syncs before everything populates correctly.