Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

[Airwave] Change controller type

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  [Airwave] Change controller type

Posted Jul 30, 2014 06:28 AM

Hi,

Since I migrate my 2 controlleurs from 6000 to 7220, my Airwave server don't detect the new type of controllers and always display "Aruba6000". Everything else is working.

I can't upgrade ArubaOS of the controllers by using Airwave because the firmware is for Aruba 72xx  (and hate getting up early to manually install  updates ... )

Is it possible to change the type of controller in Airwave without all delete and recreate ?

Best regards,

Sebastien

• 2.  RE: [Airwave] Change controller type

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2014 01:28 PM

How did the switch happen?  If you swapped the hardware, but maintained the IP address, then you should try to do an 'import settings' from the controller's manage page.  If you added the controllers with a new IP address, then you'd be looking at adding the controllers using Device Setup -> Add, and then using the 'replace hardware' option from the controller's manage page to join the data sets of the past controller with the new controller.

• 3.  RE: [Airwave] Change controller type

Posted Jul 31, 2014 06:48 AM

The switch happen a few months ago (detail here ). Migration from 2 Aruba6000 with M3 card in Master/Local (VRRP) mode to 2 new Aruba 7220, with minimal downtime (less than 10 seconds). So controller have same IP adress

I tried : 

- Import settings : Configuration verification succeeded; configuration is good, but the type is always Aruba6000

- Poll device : Poll now complete, but the type is always Aruba6000

- Rediscover device : HTTP/SNMPv2 Scan of "CW01" (x.x.x.x/255.255.255.255) using credentials "adminairwave", "airwavesnmp": completed: 2 probes in 1 seconds,but the type is always Aruba6000

- Replace hardware : I don't have this option

• 4.  RE: [Airwave] Change controller type

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2014 10:44 AM

Try the following SNMPwalk from AMP CLI:

# s2w <controller ip address> <community string> sysDescr

ex:

# s2w 10.10.10.10 public sysDescr

RFC1213-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: "ArubaOS (MODEL: Aruba7240-US), Version 6.3.1.0 (39623)"

If you're doing SNMPv3 the command looks like:

# s3w <AMP database ID number of controller> sysDescr

--where you get teh database ID number from the URL when viewing the controller's monitor page in AMP.

If both controllers are responding with the correct response to SNMP request, then the next step would be to open a support case.  I'm going to have someone in QA try to reproduce this in house as well.

• 5.  RE: [Airwave] Change controller type
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2014 02:51 PM

Also, is the current status of the device reading as "Unexpected LAN MAC address (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) found at this device's IP address"?

If so, then you're running into a known issue:

US12063 - can't replace a device with a different device at the same IP address, not given replace hardware option as well.

To get around this & maintain historical data (minus a blip from the actions illustrated below):

1) go to the controller manage page ::: set IP address to an incorrect value so that the device becomes down

2) device setup -> add ::: add the correct IP address

3) replace hardware ::: when new entry is reporting as up, and old entry is reporting as down, navigate to the old controller entry - manage page, replace hardware -> select new controller entry

4) things should be up and the device type should be reflect the proper device type

• 6.  RE: [Airwave] Change controller type

Posted Aug 01, 2014 04:07 AM

Hello,

Here are the results of tests

[root@SRWIFI mercury]# s2w 10.1.20.249 xxxxxx sysDescr
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: ArubaOS (MODEL: Aruba7220), Version 6.3.1.2 (41362)

[root@SRWIFI mercury]# s2w 10.2.20.250 xxxxxx sysDescr
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: ArubaOS (MODEL: Aruba7220), Version 6.3.1.2 (41362)

[root@SRWIFI mercury]# s3w 1 sysDescr
    Walking CW01 with this command:
    /opt/airwave/bin/snmpwalk -v3 -u 'xxxxxx' -a 'sha' -A 'xxxxxx' -x 'des' -X 'xxxxxx' -l 'AuthPriv' 10.1.20.249:161 sysDescr

[root@SRWIFI mercury]# s3w 2 sysDescr
    Walking CW02 with this command:
    /opt/airwave/bin/snmpwalk -v3 -u 'xxxxxx' -a 'sha' -A 'xxxxxx' -x 'des' -X 'xxxxxx' -l 'AuthPriv' 10.2.20.250:161 sysDescr

[root@SRWIFI mercury]#

• 7.  RE: [Airwave] Change controller type

Posted Aug 13, 2014 05:15 AM

Hi,

I had a little time to test your solution, and it works great !!! It's a really nice trick.

Thank you !! :smileyvery-happy: