Network Management

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Deployment on VMWare

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Airwave Deployment on VMWare

Posted Apr 03, 2013 11:53 AM

Hello All,

I will be doing my first Airwave deployment on a VMWare Machine.

And I was reading the Installation Guide and I see a concerned statement referenced from the Guide. See below:

Server Requirements:

AirWave runs on a dedicated system and is compatible with most standard PC or rack-mount server hardware. The AirWave Installation CD will format the hard disk, install the CentOS operating system, and install the AirWave software. 

Now should I be concerned about this?

Should there be another Software Image that applies to deployments on VMWare Machines? Like the .OVA Image on the Support Website? Rather than using the .ISO image?

Is there an Installation Guide that applies specifically to VMWare deployments?

Responses will be highly appreciated!

• 2.  RE: Airwave Deployment on VMWare

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 12:04 PM

The main take-away from the Server Requirements is that AirWave is I/O intensive.  So you need to make sure to guarantee the instance the correct number of IOPs.  Secondly, you need to make sure to size your AirWave instance 20% larger than the guide does for dedicated hardware installs - this is to account for the VM overhead.  Lastly, you need to make sure that if the VM host is hosting other instances, that the AirWave instance gets priority (typically, if AirWave isn't the number 1 priority of the VM host, you may see performance issues).

If you check out the support site, there's actually download options for the ISO, upgrade package, and an OVA.  So you can go with whichever is more comfortable for you.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Deployment on VMWare

Posted Apr 03, 2013 12:08 PM

Thanks Rob for your feedback.

So are you saying that I can use the ISO image for the installation on the VMWare Machine as well? 

But I have a concern of it formating the Hard Disk. I'm not IT inclined unfortunately so I don't have an idea of how deployments on VMWare works. But with an ISO image on a CD/DVD, will the installation be allocated to the VMWare Instance only and not to the entire Hard Disk?

• 4.  RE: Airwave Deployment on VMWare
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 12:27 PM

Think of the VM environment as having a few layers of abstraction.

You have your VM host -> this behaves like the BIOS of a hardware server, where you would allocate the resources available to the destination VM instance.

You then have the VM instance -> this is a pre-defined system that only has the allocated amount of resources.

When installing, you are only working inside the VM instance.  At this point, you can choose to either install fresh off the ISO (blanking out only the HD space allocated to that instance), or you can use the OVA which will need to be resized after installing.

• 5.  RE: Airwave Deployment on VMWare

Posted Apr 03, 2013 12:30 PM

Perfect! Thank you for the additional VMWare 101 Session.

Highly appreciated Rob.

• 6.  RE: Airwave Deployment on VMWare

Posted Jan 10, 2014 02:50 PM

Rob... So, if I'm understanding this correctly Airwave is supported on a ISO/server - OVA VMware or Hyper V

THX