Network Management

Highlighted
New Contributor

Airwave Determining LAN MAC Address

Hello,

Looking for some insight on how Airwave determines what displays in the "LAN MAC Address" column. This is an Airwave question, but the devices we're polling are Juniper EX-series.

So regardless of which interfaces are up/up or not, Airwave seems to be getting the LAN MAC entry from ge-0/0/0. Here's the output for SiteA.

user@site-a-router> show interfaces ge-0/0/0
Physical interface: ge-0/0/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
Interface index: 654, SNMP ifIndex: 508

If I snmp-get the following OID for ifIndex 508, I get 54:1e:56:41:cc:f2, the result that displays in the LAN MAC column in airwave:

$ snmpget -v 2c -c [community] site-a-router .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6.508
IF-MIB::ifPhysAddress.508 = STRING: 54:1e:56:41:cc:f2

I tried the same thing on SiteB, and even though the SNMP ifIndex is different, the MAC address that displays in Airwave in the LAN MAC address column is still ge-0/0/0.

So the problem is on SiteD, where instead of having a 1gb GBIC we have a 10gb one, so the ge-0/0/0 interface doesn't exist, instead it's xe-0/0/0.

I don't have a problem getting the MAC address for the xe-0/0/0 interface index using the same snmpget method shown above, but it doesn't display in Airwave. Now trying to figure out if I have an airwave problem or a Juniper problem (which honestly seems more likely).

Thanks for any help,

joemac

MVP Guru

Re: Airwave Determining LAN MAC Address

It could be that 10G connections for access on Juniper switches is something that has not been tested before as it is not so common at this moment in time. Please open a TAC case to report it and have it investigated.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Re: Airwave Determining LAN MAC Address

May I know Airwave version and Juniper switch firmware/model of 10GB port which LAN MAC adrees is not showing in Airwave?

Did you try doing snmp walk from Airwave CLI?

Pavan Arshewar | ACCP

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!
NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.