Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Device Summary reports

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Airwave Device Summary reports

Posted Feb 22, 2012 11:36 AM

Hello,

I am running a custom device summary report that gives me a list of the types of clients and counts over a period of 2-3 months. This is the purpose of finding a unique client count.

The number of device types is rather large, at over 11k. Does anyone know if this is an actual unique client report or is this counting the same client that had connected to two different controllers? (We have 2 controllers).

Thanks. 

• 2.  RE: Airwave Device Summary reports

Posted Feb 22, 2012 12:43 PM

I'd be interested in seeing your actual report definition.  The widgets you're using would help to answer your question accurately.

I think, though, from your description of the problem, you are using the Device Type Summary widget.  That widget counts the number of sessions by device type rather than the unique clients.  So you would not only show the client once for each controller, but once for each time it connected to any device.

Although it looks to me like you might also be using the Devices widget, in which case I'm less clear on what your seeing.

As I said,, it would help to know what your report definition actually looks like.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Device Summary reports

Posted Feb 22, 2012 03:48 PM

The widgets I am using for the definition are:-

• Client Inventory: Device Model Summary
    • Client Inventory: Device Type Summary

That's all I have added to the report definition. And then setting the report to 12/1/2011 12:00AM  to 2/22/2012 12:00AM for the time period.

We get on average about 1600 concurrent clients with a max of 2300 clients.

Thanks. 

• 4.  RE: Airwave Device Summary reports

Posted Feb 22, 2012 07:26 PM

I went and did a little more research on those widgets based on what you've given me.  We track clients as unique by their MAC address.  I ran the same report definition on my AMP and compared the result to what I know to be a correct count of unique MAC addresses.  I was wrong about the Device Type Widget: it's counting clients by unique MAC address.

What this means is the report you are running is showing the results you want.

I'm curious about it asking for a time period, though.  Those widgets shouldn't need it and the time period fields don't show up for me.

• 5.  RE: Airwave Device Summary reports

Posted Feb 23, 2012 09:39 AM

Thanks for the followup. Looking at the client session report, the numbers make sense now.

You can ask for the time frame under the pulldown "Limit to active devices:" and change the option to "Active during report timeframe" or "Inactive during report timeframe".

Cheers.