Network Management

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Groups with Master-Local topology

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Airwave Groups with Master-Local topology

Posted Jul 09, 2013 08:25 PM

Hi all,

I have a deployment i'm working on with a redundant pair of master controllers and 30+ local controllers in different schools.

I'm trying to work out the best way to integrate these into airwave as i've never had such a complex airwave install so wanted to see what other do in similar circumstances.

Each Local has their own respective AP group and all AP's discover the master then get pointed to the relevant LMS through AP groups on the master.

Let's say i want to have separate configuration per school, should i create a separate AP Group for each school and put the local controller and AP's in this or should i manage it all from the Global group configuration for all controllers?

Scott

• 2.  RE: Airwave Groups with Master-Local topology

Posted Jul 09, 2013 09:04 PM

You could create a global group for example name Controllers and place all your controllers there then you could create different folders based on the location that way if you need to run reports you can do it based on that specific location 

Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 9.04.21 PM.png

• 3.  RE: Airwave Groups with Master-Local topology

Posted Jul 09, 2013 09:08 PM

Hi Victor,

I'm happy with the concept of Folders for reporting, just unsure on the best way forward with Groups for configuration.

For instance, if i want to apply specific radio profiles to one group of AP's would this best be done as an override on the global configuration or split off as a Group configuration?

Scott

• 4.  RE: Airwave Groups with Master-Local topology

Posted Jul 10, 2013 08:15 AM

Are you currently managing your controllers (pushing configs) through Airwave ? Or this is how you are planning to do ?

• 5.  RE: Airwave Groups with Master-Local topology

Posted Jul 22, 2013 10:33 AM

Scott,

In my experience, if any of the controllers will have different configurations, each of them will need their own AMP group.

Therefore a pair of redundant MAsters can be in their own AMP group and I would put each of the locals in their own AMP group.

You can create folders for each of them or how you see fit and split them up by regions, etc..

This is if you only plan on performing configuration changes from AMP itself, if not, then don't bother will mutiple AMP groups but if ever you want that in the future, set yourself up for it properly now.

• 6.  RE: Airwave Groups with Master-Local topology

Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:56 PM

thanks everyone for your advice. for the moment i think we are going to just use the monitoring capability of Airwave and not play with the configuration management just yet