Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave License - Controller

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Airwave License - Controller

Posted Mar 07, 2019 11:47 AM

Hi All,

I am just getting started with Airwave.  I have added all of our APs into the system and I see that it adds the Instant controller separately.  From a licensing standpoint, does each AP need to be licensed as well as the controller, even though the Instant controller is actually running on one of the APs?

• 2.  RE: Airwave License - Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2019 12:23 PM
    The virtual controller won’t consume an AirWave license just the APs

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Airwave License - Controller

Posted Mar 07, 2019 12:30 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info.  the interface is a bit deceiving as I'm trying to get a licensing total.  I'm in demo mode and the total devices at the top shows 50 devices in Up status, but some of those are controllers so that doesn't reflect the number of licenses I'll need to buy.

Its a bit confusing because I have some licenses, but some other devices have been added using the demo license.  there isn't a good way to see the difference without manually counting everything.

example: 50 devices total - 22 existing licenses = 28 licenses needed.  some of those are controllers, so 28 - 10 controllers = 18 licenses needed, I think.  it would be nice if there was a page that listed ALL devices based on a category, such as # of APs, # of switchs, # of controllers.

I guess it would be nice if there were an inventory total based on category of device: # of APs, # of switches, # of controllers, etc

• 4.  RE: Airwave License - Controller

Posted Mar 07, 2019 01:11 PM

so, how are stacked switches handled?  is it licensed as one unit or does each master and slave consume a license?

• 5.  RE: Airwave License - Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2019 01:15 PM
    It is one license per stack

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 6.  RE: Airwave License - Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2019 08:55 PM

This feature was introduced in 8.2.2. I.e. the whole stack consumes only one license. Prior to that each physical device consumes a license i.e. each switch consumed one license.

• 7.  RE: Airwave License - Controller

Posted Mar 13, 2019 12:51 PM

Do dual 7XXX controllers in HA consume a single Airwave license or one per controller?

• 8.  RE: Airwave License - Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 12:55 PM

one license for each controller.

• 9.  RE: Airwave License - Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 12:56 PM

Each controller added will be consuming one license.