Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave - Manage Switch

This thread has been viewed 44 times
  • 1.  Airwave - Manage Switch

Posted Mar 19, 2019 12:33 PM

Hi All,

I am new to Airwave, my Airwave server is up and running.  I've created some groups and added all of my AP's and switches into a group using monitor mode.

so now I'm curious about the steps to enable management of the switches.  Because they are in production, I want to avoid pushing any configuration down to the them.  I simply want to be able to make changes from the Airwave interface that pushed down to a specific switch.  

is this possible? if so, how do I configure this mode without creating any sort of template that is accidentally pushed and might bring the switch down?

• 2.  RE: Airwave - Manage Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2019 12:46 PM

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=32985

You donwload switch configuration guide from above link. Main point to remember to manage devices from Airwave, configuraiton of those devices should be in 'Good' Status in Airwave. If they are in Good status ,we are ready to place the device in manage mode from APs/Device>Manage page and manage config from Groups>Template page or Groups>Switch config(if you have enabled Switch GUI mode in Groups>Basic page)

Groups are configuration specific, if you have two switches with different configuration, it is recommanded to place to two different group and import setting to make the config as Good.

If configuraiton is similar then we can place both in same group and import the configuraiton from any one device to airwave , other device config will be audited with this config.

thumb rule is similarconfiguraiton devices to be placed in same group to to avoid mismatch.

• 3.  RE: Airwave - Manage Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2019 03:44 PM

Hello,

Aruba Switch management for configuration on Airwave has two options, now:

1. Baseline config mode. (This will be device specific, Meaning you can have different configuration for different switches from the single group.)

2. Template mode. (This will be one or more template for the group, based on different versions of switches. You will need to add the template/import the template and let Airwave do the config audit accordingly).

These options can be selected on Group --> Basic page. as shown below:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 12.03.24 PM.png

If you select, Baseline configuration here, that will be device specific configuration. Meaning, you wont be seeing group template option on the monitor page of the switch:

a). Navigate to switch config page on the GUI, as shown below:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.53.13 AM.png

b). The above screenshot it shows the configuration as Good. If you see the configuration as mismatched, you would need to click on Audit and it will fetch the new config backup.

c). Under config backups option, you would see the new "current running config" as shown in the picture.

d). All you need to do is, click on the Pencil icon, for the newly imported config, and select that as Base line configuration. The configuration will be good.

e). You can now change the device to manage mode and use the link posted by Pavan in the above comment to use the switch configuration guide, to manage the switch using config snippets and config jobs.

Template mode.

This option is selected by default in this option, you will see the monitor page of the switch as below:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 12.20.59 PM.png

a). We will need to click on Add a Template if no template is added already.

b). Fetch the template from the specific switch and do the audit against that switch. once the config is good, you could enable the manage mode and edit the templates to push the configuration.

If you have switches with the same version and little or more difference in the configuration in the same group, you would definetly see a mismatch in this template mode. You may switch to base line configuration mode.

Hope this helps to you..

--

• 4.  RE: Airwave - Manage Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2020 03:35 AM

Hi Fayaz,

Thanks for the detailed info. 

Can we have multiple switch(2930M and 3810M)  template on same group?

I guess we can as I can see the option to add multiple template on group. 

Am referring to template mode.

Thanks

Sreejith

• 5.  RE: Airwave - Manage Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2020 01:09 PM

Yes, that is possible. Template can be restricted to Switch model, switch version or no restriction at all in a group. There can be multiple templates restricted to models and/or versions.

• 6.  RE: Airwave - Manage Switch

Posted Jun 10, 2021 03:11 PM
    I have switches that have similar configurations except for the interfaces. Interfaces are named and have different VLAN assignments. It would be great to have then all in the same group and using a template to insure they are standardized. Is this possible?

------------------------------
    Gregory Damron

• 7.  RE: Airwave - Manage Switch

Posted May 17, 2023 07:58 AM

I have same a similar requierement . For Cisco Switches i can "ignore" vlans and interfaces  with %interfaces"  and %vlasn% variable . For AOS Switches i need the same, to get a config "good" status no matter how the vlans and interfaces are set

• 8.  RE: Airwave - Manage Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2023 12:11 PM

For AOS Switches, i would recommend to use config snippets than templates. Config snippets can be applied per switch and audited accordingly for good config

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri