Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Password Recovery

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Apr 30, 2012 11:47 AM

Hi All,

We've been testing Airwave with a temporary key and finally received our permanent key. However it's been some time since I've logged into the web interface that I can no longer remeber neither the username or password I used when I installed and begain to set it up. I do have the root password though. Is there any way to retrieve/reset the Airwave web interface password? I searched the KB, but only found a method for resetting the root password which is not the case.

Thanks!

Mark

• 2.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 30, 2012 12:09 PM

If you've lost the password you use to log in as admin to AMP's web interface, you can update it from the command line with this command which stores a hashed version of 'admin' as the password in our database:

From the CLI:

# dbc "update users set password='2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e' where username ='admin';"

If you use a name other than admin, you can change your user's password by modifying the where clause above. For example, to change joemontana's password to admin, this would work:

# dbc "update users set password='2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e' where username ='joemontana';"

• 3.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Apr 30, 2012 12:24 PM

Thanks Dan,

I was able to brute force my memory, but this will help for the next time I forget my password.

Mark

• 4.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Jan 01, 2015 12:40 PM

is this method also valid in airwave 8? i have tried it multiple times, but it still won't let me in the web interface.

• 5.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 01, 2015 07:04 PM

@mkruyswijk wrote:

is this method also valid in airwave 8? i have tried it multiple times, but it still won't let me in the web interface.

Please contact TAC.  It does not work in Airwave 8.

• 6.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Apr 09, 2015 02:46 PM

I just ran into the same GUI password issie on AMP 8.  Tried admin/admin and it worked. 

• 7.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2015 11:41 AM

Keep in mind that in AMP 8+, there's an additional column 'is_enabled' that should be set to 1.  You may also need to reset 'login_attempts' as well (by default, the max login attempts is 10 tries before account is disabled).

# dbc "select * from users where username='admin';"

-[ RECORD 1 ]---+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    id | 1
    username | admin
    password | 2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e
    role_id | 5
    full_name |  admin
    email |  admin@blank.com
    phone |  555-555-5555
    notes |
    password_format | md5
    login_attempts | 0
    is_enabled | 1

• 8.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Apr 11, 2015 08:43 AM

you are right, that was my problem.

i now have 2 admin users on my airwave. just to make sure i can always unlock one :)

• 9.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Sep 24, 2015 11:04 PM

this's inspired me to fixed problem thanks

• 10.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Jul 13, 2016 07:09 AM

Hi 

I tried the same command on my AMP running version 8.0.5. I only have RO access to the GUI. Case #1908586. Please assist. 

I copied and pasted this command in order to login with admin rights:

dbc "update users set password='2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e' where username ='admin';"

Regards,

• 11.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:03 PM

deonsteyn,

That command should still work (8.2.1.1 here) but you probably need to re-enable the account and you can reset the failed attempts as well.

• dbc "update users set login_attempts='1' where username='admin';"
    • dbc "update users set is_enabled='1' where username='admin';"

• 12.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2016 06:47 PM

Let's compress it all into 1 nice command shall we...

# dbc " update users set password='2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e', login_attempts=0, is_enabled=1 where username='admin' "

• 13.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

Posted Oct 13, 2017 03:55 PM

If I have multiple AP's Aruba 220 devices that nobody knows the pw, If I  reset the password will the new password be distributed to the rest or do I need to console into each AP. 

• 14.  RE: Airwave Password Recovery

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2017 04:38 PM

This topic was more about resetting AMP admin password.  Though - If these are thin APs, then only the controller pw needs to be updated.  If these Instant APs, then the devices need to be either in mgmt mode or updated from IGC.  If you don't want to reset the pw, you could open a support case - and support can help check to see if there's a db entry with the existing password.