Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave SNMP polling

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Airwave SNMP polling

Posted Jul 04, 2019 06:06 AM

HI, I would just like to get a better understanding about the process for discovering and polling devices via Airwave, hopefully someone could assist.

This is how I understand it:

1. Device is discovered via a scanning profile configured in Device Setup -> discover tab, using SNMPv2 community string.

2. Device is added to the NEW folder in Devices tab.

3. Manually move the device to a folder and group.

4. The group assignment determines which communication profile is available for ongoing polling i.e. ArubaOS switch, where additional SNMP/TELNET/SSH configuration is provided.

5. The communication profile information is written to the device profile under manage tab.

Does this sound correct or am I misunderstanding it?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dale

• 2.  RE: Airwave SNMP polling

Posted Jul 04, 2019 08:05 AM

An additional questions on the same topic:  If the credentials are changed in the communication profile for ArubaOS switch, are these updated to the devices assigned to that profile/group? If not how can these be updated in the device profile, do you have to delete, rescan and add to group again?

• 3.  RE: Airwave SNMP polling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2019 08:12 AM

If you edit snmp community/SNMP user in NAD device which you are using to communicate with Airwave then you have to manually update those details in manage page other wise device status shows down in Airwave.

• 4.  RE: Airwave SNMP polling

Posted Jul 04, 2019 09:23 AM

Hi Pavan, thank you for  responses.

Just to confirm, if I change SNMP community string in all managed network devices and then configure the same in Device Setup -> Communications profile, will this work outomaticaly for polling devices or would I need to manually configure them in manage page?

Regards

Dale

• 5.  RE: Airwave SNMP polling
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2019 09:25 AM

Device Setup -> Communications is only the credentials that will default for newly discovered devices that get auto auth'd into the new devices section.

If you have devices in the 'new devices' section prior to updating the communications page, you can delete them; re-run the scan; and then they'll be set for the new creds.

For devices already approved into group/folders, you can bulk update from the Devices list.  To do this, create a Device list view that shows the devices you want to update creds for; use the pencil icon on top right of the device list table; choose device action = 'update the creds used to communicate with these devices', toggle the checkbox next to the devices you want to update -> select update action to continue through the wizard.

• 6.  RE: Airwave SNMP polling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2019 08:09 AM

Dale,

We have mulitple methods to add devices in Airwave, one is discovery which you have already mentioned along with this we have manual and CSV method.

From steps 2 to 5 is almost same in all steps but in manage page we need to manually provide telnet/ssh crdentials, it will not automatically read from NAD devices. If you want to avoid this, update all communication details in Device Setup > communication page, it is global setting.

This setting works only when communication details are common across all the devices.

• 7.  RE: Airwave SNMP polling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2019 08:09 AM

Dale,

We have mulitple methods to add devices to Airwave, one is discovery which you have already mentioned along with this we have manual and CSV method.

From steps 2 to 5 is almost same in all steps but in manage page we need to manually provide telnet/ssh crdentials, it will not automatically read from NAD devices. If you want to avoid this, update all communication details in Device Setup > communication page, it is global setting.

This setting works only when communication details are common across all the devices.