Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Status Polling and Polling for Down devices

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Airwave Status Polling and Polling for Down devices

Posted Sep 25, 2012 06:38 AM

I am hoping I can possibly get a clarification on how Airwave performs its polling as I have researched this and even had TAC explain it to me but I don't seem to quite understand.

If I set my AMP group to poll every 10 min with some overrides, like so:

settings.jpg

If an AP (RAP) should go offline but I want to set my trigger to limit the number of down events to let's say

1 down event for 5 min - send a trigger

How does Airwave handle this scenario?

What I am trying to get at is how does Airwave treat offline devices vs online devices, does it follow the same polling strategy or is there a sort of adaptive down model that is being followed such as, when a down device is offline, polling is more frequent on those devices, such as every 30 sec for the next 10 min?

Do I need to wait 10 min for Airwave to let me know the device is back online?

I have seen devices go offline/online and receive basic up/down alerts for those devices when polling was set to 10 min.

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: Airwave Status Polling and Polling for Down devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2012 10:59 AM

The down event trigger corresponds to the up/down poll period. If the poll period is 10 minutes, you're down event will be in respect to 10 minutes (not the 5 minutes designated in the trigger). The only other way that you might get a quicker response is if the AMP receives a down device trap from the controller prior to the next poll cycle (this requires AMP to be setup as a trap receiver - this setup is explained in the Best Practices Guide). Traps help to fill the void between poll periods, catching events that the controller reports (ap up/down, user associations, etc).

Offline and online devices are polled according to their Groups -> select group -> Basic tab -> SNMP poll period settings. The polling doesn't get more or less aggressive based on the device's up/down state. The window of time it would take to get the alert would either be according to the polling period or a SNMP trap.

If you want to poll certain devices more/less aggressively, a typical suggestion is to create a separate group and set the up/down polling as you prefer. From the AP/Devices list view, you can move devices in bulk between groups/folders using the 'modify devices' wrench above the list table to get a check box option (the group/folder options will then appear below the list table).

modify devices.jpg

Keep in mind that if you have a single master controller, polling more often will cause more load on the controller.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Status Polling and Polling for Down devices

Posted Sep 26, 2012 09:17 AM

Great thank you!

1 more question, if we are using Airwave to monitor Cisco WLC controllers, does Airwave use this method as well or it will only rely on Status polling.

Can we setup the WLC to send snmp traps to Airwave?

• 4.  RE: Airwave Status Polling and Polling for Down devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2012 09:38 AM

For Cisco devices, AirWave relies solely on ping / SNMP polling for up/down status.  We do have some trap processing for WLC, but it's very limited.

----------

From the knowledge-base - keyword 'cisco traps'

----------

Supported Cisco WLC Traps

The following traps are what we parse and summarize in the alert summary widget. All the other traps are parsed and logged in the event log. 

ciscoLwappAAARadiusReqTimedOut - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.598.0.5' => ['handle_radius_timeout_trap'], 
    bsnDot11StationBlacklisted - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.52' => ['handle_blacklist_trap'], 
    bsnSignatureAttackDetected - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.70' => ['handle_ids_trap', 'ids_trap'], 
    bsnAuthenticationFailure - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.27' => ['handle_auth_failure_trap'], 
    bsnRADIUSServerNotResponding - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.26' => ['handle_radius_noresponse_trap'], 
    bsnAPDisassociated - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.8' => ['handle_ap_disassociation_trap'], 
    bsnAPAssociated - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.7' => ['handle_ap_association_trap'], 
    bsnDot11StationAssociate - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.53' => ['handle_client_trap', 'association'], 
    bsnDot11StationDisassociate - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.1' => ['handle_client_trap', 'disassociation'], 
    bsnDot11StationDeauthenticate - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.6.3.2' => ['handle_client_trap', 'deauthenticate'], 
    ciscoLwappDot11ClientMovedToRunState - 'SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.599.0.4' => ['handle_client_trap', 'authentication'],

• 5.  RE: Airwave Status Polling and Polling for Down devices

Posted Sep 26, 2012 09:41 AM

I figured that was the case. Thank you very much Rob.