Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Topology almost empty

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Airwave Topology almost empty

Posted Jun 03, 2019 08:37 AM

Hi all.

I have a Airwave 8.2.8.2 install with 59 Procurve switches and 380 accesspoints across 4 locations which generally works and monitors just fine. All devices are online, inventoried, backed up and so on...

However: The Topology drawing is not being populated with all my switches and the links between them. 10 switches have shown up on the Topology page in small clusters and links between those are correctly populated. The remaining switches and not visible and I have tried just about anything now.

Clicking on each of the missing switches in the devices list I can see that the “Neighbours” section is empty even though LLDP runs just fine on the switches and I can see everything when checking from the CLI. All switches are HPE Procurve and Aruba Provision series generally with 16.x Aruba series FW on them except for a few 8200zl and 2910 series that never got a 16.x series firmware.

Any idea why LLDP neighbours are not visible in Airware and consequently the switch is invisible in the Topology drawing?

• 2.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2019 08:55 AM

If I understand correctly you are seeing neighbour details in CLI but not in Airwave?

Are you seeing any snmp timeout error messages under Devices>monitor event section page?

• 3.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

Posted Jun 03, 2019 09:19 AM

That is correct: LLDP information and neighbours are fully populated when checking the switch from CLI. But under “Connected -> Neighbors” on the device in Airwave it says “No Data Available”.

Otherwise in the Airwave GUI the device is up, and port status, connected devices (MAC addresses) and everything else is fine.

There is nothing in “alerts” or “device events” under “Alerts & Events” - just a notice in “AMP Device Events” that the daily backup completed successfully.

• 4.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2019 09:38 AM

Try check all the setting mentioned in below link

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/Troubleshooting-methods-when-Airwave-topology-diagram-is-missing/ta-p/312375

Try API  to see if you are seeing switch details in API output and also make sure server have enough resources, if system using swap memory and load is hight it wont show.

https://<ip address>/topology/getTopology

• 5.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

Posted Jun 03, 2019 10:07 AM
      |   view attached

Well, I think I have tried all the troubleshooting solutions apart from the ones not really workable for us (such as start using SNMPv2 instead of v3).

- The interface (to the next switch) is up and showing in Airwave.

- Running “show lldp info remote” from “Troubleshooting” within Airwave GUI also returns all neighbors.
    - I have not tried to add the switches as NON aruba devices as that makes no sense/use for us.

Calling the API as suggested seems to return all my devices - including the ones missing in topology.

Regarding performance/scale of the Airwave it seems to have AMPLE ressources except that it does active some Swap space after about a few weeks running - but it never populated topology up until that time. The memory monitor perhaps suggests a memory leak (se attached)?

• 6.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

Posted Jun 03, 2019 10:35 AM

Perhaps I should add the switches are all running an identical configuration (port VLANs aside), and they have been added in bulk with the same settings to Airwave.

There are switches of the exact same model not being shown in topology as some of those that are being shown. So it seems like airwave has an issue getting neighbor information from the switches after the 10-12 pcs that are being shown in Topology.

• 7.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2019 10:58 AM

Please open TAC ticket, need to enable debug commands to check whether all neigbour informaiton is coming and also if lan_mac address not present in ap table it will not show in topology.

We need to login to database and check ap table for that need awsupport credentials and only TAC have access to it.

Note: I see in week 21 AMP memory usage is 100%, need to check if resources are as per our recommdations and also check topology service in system status page is running

TopologyOK/var/log/topology

• 8.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

Posted Jun 06, 2019 09:04 AM

Okay - I have started creating a TAC case and i'll update this thread with the resolution once it has been found.

• 9.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty

Posted Jun 11, 2019 03:44 AM

Still working with TAC - it seems it's not an easily solved issue....

• 10.  RE: Airwave Topology almost empty
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 11, 2019 02:24 PM

After working with TAC for quite some time it seems it was an issue with Airwave 8.2.8.2. It simply failed to inventory all switches for LLDP Neighbor information correctly.

After TAC upgraded the Airwave server to 8.2.9.0 the issue was resolved.