Network Management

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted May 08, 2018 07:47 PM

Hi all, 

Fairly new to Airwave here and just getting started with a new server running 8.2.6. As of now I have two IAP virtual controllers, two IAPs, and one Aruba 2530 switch being managed in Airwave. 

When I go to Traffic Analysis, all charts are blank and show "No Data Available". Our goal is to utilize Airwave to have visilbilty into the traffic on our Aruba devices on our WAN. 

What am I missing here in order to get this to show data?

• 2.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2018 10:50 AM

Are you managing the IAPs from AirWave with Instant GUI Config?  If so, you need to make sure the IGC toggle under System -> Traffic Analysis visibility = All.  After that, you need make sure you have the right Firewall rules set to allow/deny applications.  This is under Security -> Roles.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted May 09, 2018 04:02 PM

Thanks Rob!

• 4.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"
    Best Answer

Posted May 09, 2018 05:14 PM

Upon further review, this works for my IAPs. However, I see no such setting for any of the switches I am trying to monitor traffic on. Such as an Aruba 2530 which I am managing in  Airwave. 

• 5.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2018 05:51 PM

Correct, we get Traffic Analysis from the APs/Controllers.  It's a roadmap item to support from the switches as we build our wired side features more.

• 6.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted May 09, 2018 05:57 PM
    Understood. That works fine for the way we utilize the Aruba equipment. One more question. For the destinations graph, why does not only show IP addresses and not websites. And for clients, it only shows Mac addresses. Seems I have dns setup but maybe not in right areas. What's proper way to make it all resolve to names?

• 7.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2018 06:06 PM

The raw data passed to AirWave is IP addresses and MACs.  AirWave gets the info immediately if the translated destination has never been hit before.  In the case that the controller has seen the destination before - I haven't seen the data resolve ever in my short lived lab setups.  I used a controller reboot to force the websites to AirWave.  Client usernames / device names I'd have to do more research into that path.

• 8.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted Jun 19, 2018 04:53 AM

Hi,

I`m currently also facing this Issue - that I`m not getting any sort of Client relevant Data (Client Summary, Traffic Analysis, etc.) from the IAPs to the AMP... I´ve checked so far all the suggestions I´ve found for this issue but nothing seems to help and solve this... that`s so frustrating... :(

maybe someone can help?

greets

• 9.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2018 09:46 AM

Can you provide AMP version, IAP model type, and IAP firmware version?

• 10.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted Jun 19, 2018 09:57 AM

Hi Rob,

thanks for your reply!

AMP Version = 8.2.6

IAP Model = IAP-207

IAP Version = 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.2_58595

• 11.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 12:06 PM

That combo of versions should be working.  I'd suggest opening a support case to debug this further.  One thing support might try to suggest is upgrading to 8.2.6.1 as there was a fix for the debugging code there.  If you run the upgrade to 8.2.6.1, then the next step would be from the AMPCLI to go into Enter Commands and enable the qlog topic swarm_debug.

#  qlog enable swarm_debug

This captures all the encrypted messages from the Instant APs that support would look into, specifically checking for data from the Traffic Analysis feature.

• 12.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted Jun 20, 2018 02:58 PM

thank you Rob, I´ll keep you updated on this...

• 13.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted Jul 07, 2019 05:48 AM

HI rob,

i am getting the same error. NO data found.

We are using Airwave 8.2.8.1 version. please advice.

I was trying to find the above mentioned step. but could not found in the desired place.

please suggest.

• 14.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2019 07:25 AM

Are you monitoring controllers or IAPs? In ERROR screen shot I dont see any device/client count.

If you are montioring controllers then we need to enable prefer AMON vs SNMP settign in AMP setup > General page and add airwave as managment server and enable traffice related stats.

If it is IAP then you need to enable Traffice analysis option in VC for data to get updated in Airwave.

If option is enabled but still data is not showing in Airwave then need to enable swarm_debug log from AMPCLI option 11 (command) $qlog enable swarm_debug

Wait for five to ten minutes , then disable qlog by running $ qlog disable swarm_debug  and download swarm_debug file using download option and open TAC ticket with logs.

• 15.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted Nov 25, 2019 11:23 AM

I have recently updated to ArubaOS 8 from 6.5 and also updated Airwave from 8.2.2.1 to 8.2.10.0.

However, from looking at previous reports, the Traffic Analysis stopped showing up in the reports after upgrading to ArubaOS 8.

Running the Mobility Master on the latest 8.6.0.0, using two controllers, both running 8.5.0.4_72900.

Prefer Amon over SNMP is checked in Airwave.

As stated, was working before moving to 8.0 so I am guessing I am missing something in the MM and/or controllers.

• 16.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 26, 2019 02:00 AM

Is the Airwave information available in mgmt-servers list of the Controllers? Without this, Airwave shall not receive any AMON data from the Controllers. Command to validate the same: 'show mgmt-servers'.

• 17.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted Nov 26, 2019 11:00 AM
      |   view attached

Thank you for the response; Yes, the Airwave server is already added and shows when I run the command show mgmt-servers

After looking through other posts and suggestions I was able to find the correct settings within the Mobility Master to show Traffic Analysis (apparently the needed settings did not get migrated when we upgraded from 6.5).

This is was I set to allow seeing Traffic Analysis both in the MM GUI as well as getting App Data in my reports:

In the MM under the Managed Node -> Configuration -> Services -> Firewall; Expand Global Settings -> scroll to near the end and enable these two options:

Enable Firewall Visibility

Enable Deep Packet Inspection

Save and apply the pending changes.

(see attached screenshot)

I immediately started to see information in the MM GUI and after about an hour I ran a report in Airwave and now see the information I had before.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

-Chuck

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Traffic_Analysis.pdf   81 KB 1 version

• 18.  RE: Airwave Traffic Analysis "No Data Available"

Posted Oct 11, 2018 06:15 AM

Good morning,

I attach my issue to this problem. My data is:

AMP Version = 8.2.6.1

IAP Model = IAP-305

IAP Version = 6.5.4.7-6.5.4.7_64552

On VC I regullarly see the client data but AirWave not.

I replied configuration from our old Airwave server 8.2.0.2 that works correctly for all iAP that are still to migrate.

Kind regards

Sorin