Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

Posted Jul 31, 2015 03:30 PM

Hi folks,

My teams manage a number of Airwave appliances and one complaint I seem to regularly get is that Airwave seems to spit out UP alarms even though we never got a DOWN alarm for the same node.

On investigation, it would seem that this was due to our thresholding.

Our tresholding is loose, on purpose, so as to not get down alarms for quick downs. We have other methods to deal with these flaps in a more holistic manner.

So the idea is that, when we get a DOWN alarm, it's a real hard down and we are taking specific action.

It would seem, however, that there is no flexibility on the UP alarms. Meaning, as soon as Airwave sees a device as UP, it will send us the up alarm.

This is frustrating my team, as they will get these UPs for devices that they never got DOWNs for.

As such, I was thinking perhaps it would be useful to introduce some logic in to the UP alarm function.

Something like "Send up alarm for this node only if the previous alarm sent for this node was as down alarm"

That way, Airwave is not sending you UPs for Downs you never cared about being alarmed on.

Thoughts, anyone?

• 2.  RE: Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2015 03:35 PM
    Which devices specifically? If it is Aruba access points, the controller will send a trap as soon as it marks it down. If you are forwarding those traps to Airwave, it should notify you.

For those devices that do not register down, check in how often they are being polled via snmp.

• 3.  RE: Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

Posted Jul 31, 2015 03:42 PM

Hi Colin,

I'm actually fine with Airwave NOT alarming the DOWN. That's actually the desired outcome of how we setup the threshold. We constructed the thresholds to only alarm DOWN when the Aruba AP has been offline for a longer period of time.

But, just as I don't want to get the down alarm, I don't want to get the up alarm either.

Right now, what's happening is that I don't get the DOWN (desired) but then I DO get the UP (not desired)

The desired scenario is:

Don't get a DOWN then I don't get an UP

Do get a DOWN then I DO get an UP

But because there is no logic for the UP alarm, it sends the UP as soon as the AP is back online. Even though, based on my threshold, I never desired to be notified that it was DOWN.

• 4.  RE: Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2015 05:13 PM

This should be filed as a feature request through the ideas portal on the support site.

• 5.  RE: Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

Posted Aug 03, 2015 06:06 PM

Hi Rob,

I haven't done that before.

Is this the proper area?

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Ideas/ct-p/ideas

And if so, which subsection should I put it in?

Thanks,

-Sohrab

• 6.  RE: Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2015 06:12 PM

That link is for ideas to improve Airheads community.

Try the ideas link below Contact Support on http://support.arubanetworks.com/default.aspx

• 7.  RE: Airwave UP Alarms with no DOWN alarm

Posted Aug 05, 2015 12:38 PM