Network Management

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave polls vs snmp traps in relation to triggers and down events

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Airwave polls vs snmp traps in relation to triggers and down events

Posted Mar 26, 2015 11:03 AM

I was wondering if someone could help me understand a little better the following

We are trying to understand how Airwave polls or reacts or triggers down events depending on how the down event comes in (poll vs snmp trap)

I will do my best to explain.

We have triggers setup in various ways but for example if we have

Capture.JPG

What is the start counter for the minutes down threshold?

The trigger is supposed to fire when the device has been down for a certain amount of time.

How does it know how long its been down?

Working assumption is that the start counter is when an snmptrap comes in and everytime it polls it subtracts the trap time from the poll time.

For single IAP deployments, does the counter start at the first poll when it sees the device down?

A very detailed explanation on how all of this works would be amazing...

thanks,

Pasquale

• 2.  RE: Airwave polls vs snmp traps in relation to triggers and down events

Posted Apr 02, 2015 09:38 PM
    no one?

• 3.  RE: Airwave polls vs snmp traps in relation to triggers and down events

Posted Apr 02, 2015 10:25 PM

We're currenty running without SNMP traps.  Airwave polls at about 5 minute intervals IIRC.  It will notice the AP is down 0-5 minutes after it actually goes down, and then trigger if, when the next time it polls, it has been that many minutes or more since the last poll and it has not seen that AP up.

However the polling takes time and the extra lag can result in some unanticipated bhavior.  We have an HA deployment.  Airwave takes several minutes to realize that a failover has happened and considers the AP down until it realizes it is still up on the standby.  Occasionally the lag lines up just right and a trap like yours with a 5 minute duraton will trigger on an HA failure.