Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

Posted Dec 11, 2014 02:21 AM

Hi

My Airwave is running out of space. looking at disk usage the /var/airwave/rrd/ directory seams to be using vlose to 50% of disk (the rest of the space seams to be dvided between Logs, Databases and eronous Airwave directories).

Is there away to fine tune what RRD stores and for how long?

• 2.  RE: Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

Posted Dec 11, 2014 04:00 AM

Hi,

Here is how Airwave ceate and maintain RRD data,

RRD file size is based on the client historical data retetniton settings.(Setup-->General page,
    Client Data Retention Interval (1-425 days)) default value is 425

if we have large "Client Data Retention Interval" then we could except high RRD sizes and during the night time maintainence, Airwave will purge the old RRD data thus you can keep the RRD size in control

therefore please check what is the value of  "Client Data Retention Interval" . if it is high please reduce.

Hope got some solution, if not please feel free to comeback on the same issue :)

• 3.  RE: Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 03:13 AM

I am seeing the same thing on a newly installed Airwave.  The disk usage is now about 60% (600 GB).

The usage rose steeply for the first month and now it has levelled off a bit, but still slightly increasing.  The nightly backups are not even 8GB.

The RRD folder seems to take about 50%

• 4.  RE: Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

Posted Sep 08, 2015 04:00 AM

Hi Michael - an update to what happenned with me. We ended up logging a TAC case, the engineer modified a few things in the Airwave DB and I was told to upgrade. To upgrade to the latest revision we had to extend and increase the drive size as we couldn't upgrade with the available disk capacity.

Doing this and upgrading along with the previous DB changes the RRD seam to have stabilised and the sizes are consuming resonable storage -- haven't checked the RRD disk consumption in a while as we haven't had any storage issues (but this can be atributed to the increase of disk size for the upgrade).

• 5.  RE: Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

Posted Sep 08, 2015 11:17 AM
    Hendrik,
    What version did you go from/to?
    Tweaking your Client Data retention as Venu mentioned is the key to reducing your RRD sizes.
    it also depends how many transient users your Airwave is seeing.
    For example, we have an Airwave server with just north of 2400 APs monitoring a large coffee chain serving up public Wi-Fi.
    Our AMP server (8.0.8.1) has 1.5Tb of disk space and currently using 81% of it and RRD's are taking up more than 60%
    Our Client Data Retention is set to 14 days so we don't run out of disk space

• 6.  RE: Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 11:28 AM

I started on 8.0.8.1.  About 1200 APs in public venues with lots of transient guest users.

I know it would take a bit of space, but was bit surprised it hit that level.  I am tinkering with some of the data retention limits at the moment and will keep an eye on it.

• 7.  RE: Airwave running out of space - RRD using close to 50% of disk

Posted Sep 08, 2015 11:39 AM
    Definitely. It takes about a day to see what the differences are and after nightly maintenance is finished you will see.

Once tweaking the values, I noticed after a few days/week my disk space dropped significantly.