Network Management

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave upgrade/migration options

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Airwave upgrade/migration options

Posted Sep 08, 2020 09:31 AM

Hi, I have inherited an existing Airwave 8.2.1.1 installation running directly on a dedicated server. It is currently only used to monitor rather than manage configuration. We are looking to upgrade to the latest version and was wondering what the upgrade paths are? It is currently running on CentOS 6.6 and I understand that would need to be upgraded to 7 before the Airwave upgrade can take place? Would it be easier to move to a virtual machine and deploy the current VM OVA template and migrate data to that? Is that possible or will the latest version not be able to import data from such an old version?

Otherwise I was wondering if it was possible to run two Airwave instances and just point our controllers to the new VM instance and keep the old one running for historical data as long as we need it? I assume the old one would function ok for historical reporting even if it was no longer seeing new data from the controllers?

Basically I am feeling it would be beneficial to build the server again from scratch and design the folder structure and groups properly and get everything working as it should rather than migrate over a messy config with lots of issues. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Airwave upgrade/migration options

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 08, 2020 10:02 AM

Hey,

So a couple of things with the below. You can only backup & restore data to the same version. So you can build a new AirWave server and restore the backup from the original AirWave server providing they are on the same version of code. 

In regards to the upgrade paths, these will be detailed in the release notes of the version you are upgrading too.

I suspect you could run two AirWave servers however you'd need to consider licensing and this would be doubled (as 2x AW servers).

• 3.  RE: Airwave upgrade/migration options

Posted Sep 08, 2020 10:20 AM

Thanks for info.

With the licensing, if we were to migrate the licenses over to the VM instance, would we still be able to run reports on and look at historical data on the old Airwave instance? I would be happy to just bin the old server but management would probably want access to the old data for some period for compliance.

Also I presume we can use the existing Airwave licenses we have on a VM instance as the license is just per monitored device rather than for the Airwave appliance?

• 4.  RE: Airwave upgrade/migration options

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 08, 2020 10:27 AM

Hey, as long as there is a single license on the old device you will be able to access the data. That is correct, the licenses are tied to the IP address of the appliance. If the IP changes then the licenses are to be re-issued.

• 5.  RE: Airwave upgrade/migration options

Posted Sep 08, 2020 10:32 AM

I think that will work as we have less devices we need to manage now than before so we can afford to leave one of the small license packs on the old instance. I will have a read about the upgrade paths and decide if upgrade or building a new VM is the way to go or not.

Thanks!