Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave with HPE ArubaOS Switches

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Airwave with HPE ArubaOS Switches

Posted Sep 24, 2019 05:35 PM

Hi all,

New to Airwave - read a bunch of doco and feeling my way around.

We are traditionally an HPE shop so have a bunch of HPE ArubaOS switches (running 16.08).

I'm trying to figure out a way to make Airwave work for configuration, and I'm struggling - hoping someone will enlighten me!

We run unique manager, RADIUS/TACACs keys, and SNMPv3 credentials on each switch. 

There are a number of chassis/card-based switches (5406) which have different port counts (due to different cards being installed).

If I did try and use groups and a common template, how would the SNMPv3/RADIUS/TACACS passwords work? Yes - variable, but the passwords that appear in the config are encrypted so how would I populate the variable?

We have a couple of settings applied to every port - given different port counts, can these settings be applied to all ports?

It looks to me like I'll need a group/template for each individual switch - which leaves me asking the question: What's the point?  Should I just be in monitor-only mode?

I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental!

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

• 2.  RE: Airwave with HPE ArubaOS Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 12:27 PM

It is not safe to place all switches in same group and manage with single template for your exisiting switch setup.

Best option is to create individual group based on configuration and move similar configuration device in respective group and once device configuration shows 'Good' in Airwave we can place all switches in manage mode and start manaigng the network.

We can place different model and ports configuration in single group but since yours is production network, template syntax error  or misconfigurtion will wipe out all configuration from the switches.

• 3.  RE: Airwave with HPE ArubaOS Switches

Posted Sep 26, 2019 09:38 PM

Thanks Pavan.  Understand the risks of grouping existing devices and of course this would be tested.

For our edge switches I'm keen to understand how I would achieve grouping them - as going forward, they will have [essentially] the same config (apart from port counts & credentials for SNMPv3, TACACS etc).

It seems counter-productive to maintain a template for each individual device.

Thanks,

Ben.

• 4.  RE: Airwave with HPE ArubaOS Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2019 05:48 AM

"For our edge switches I'm keen to understand how I would achieve grouping them - as going forward, they will have [essentially] the same config (apart from port counts & credentials for SNMPv3, TACACS etc)."

In this case, based on port counts we manage configuration using  if condition statments  in template and if you are using snmpv3  or snmpv2 protocol to add devcies to Airwave then make sure to have comman snmpv3 username/password or snmpv2 community string across all the switches, it make your work easy while adding devices other wise you need to manually add indivudual devices which is time consuming.