Network Management

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwaves Visual RF Wrong orientation

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Airwaves Visual RF Wrong orientation

Posted Apr 21, 2013 01:34 PM
      |   view attached

Hello

I was setting up a demo lab of airwaves on my office to show the thing  is that i created a floor plan and evertthing...

I set my AP as managed AP(I got a single AP)

Now I show you the problem i got

The rogues AP he detect they should be down not up like you see on the graphic... how do i change the orientation of the AP?
     or something like it so he understand that  the rogues APs are down not up... if he showed it down it would actually located them correctly!

Any help? do i need to set anoter managed ap for a triangulation or  in that way he would understand better where therogues APS are?

Also another question

IS there a way i can tell the AP on the visual RF( you are a AP facing down on the cealing? you are an ap mounted on a wall facing that way? because that would be really imporant or somehow he knows magically :)

Guess the asnwer to all this would be putting a second AP but what about in those situation in which there is just one AP in one small floor?

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Airwaves Visual RF Wrong orientation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2013 03:12 AM

Hi Carlos,

With only one AP it is entirely guesswork.  For triangulation, you really need three.

As for the ceiling/wall mount, it is not possible to specify I think.

• 3.  RE: Airwaves Visual RF Wrong orientation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2013 10:01 AM

Confirming both parts of Michael's response.

VisualRF has no current knowledge of AP height.  And orientation is only for external antennas.  These are both items that should be added as feature requests in the ideas portal.

As for the location of your rogues, for a single AP, the placement is just going to be based on a single point of contact.  All you will have is a depiction of distance from an AP in any general direction.  Add a second AP, and then the clients between the 2 APs will have better clients than the clients outside the 2 APs.

-Now if you have 3 APs in a straight line, you will have a 50/50 shot that the placement is on either side of the line

-Putting the 3 APs in a triangular deployment, you will have better triangulation for clients that hear all 3 APs.  Note that hearing an AP and not hearing an AP are both constraints used for calculation.  So if one of the APs doesn't hear the client, then the client is placed further from that AP.  Also, having multiple APs gives a better attenuation rate based on AP to AP communication.

• 4.  RE: Airwaves Visual RF Wrong orientation

Posted Apr 22, 2013 10:12 AM

What would be de default rgin?

the airwaves is putting it like if were on the ceiling?

• 5.  RE: Airwaves Visual RF Wrong orientation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2013 04:22 PM

The current implementation has the APs locked in at 'Ceiling' height.