Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

Posted Oct 18, 2018 12:23 PM
      |   view attached

Hi guys,

I have to buy many licenses for monitoring several HPE switches by AirWave, but I want to be sure if them are supported by AirWave. The switches are:

HPE 1905

HPE 1910

HPE 2920

HPE 4500

HPE 5500

As you can see, these switches are very common, and I have seen other posts where people talk about if they can be managed or not, but the AirWave documentation is very clear, and of the above switches, only the HPE 5500 is supported by AirWave, attached document. But it is weird to me since the above switches are very common and support SNMP. Can you clarify that for me?

Many thanks,

Julián

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 01:52 PM

From that list, I see specific support references in the code to:

1910, 2920, 5500

The 1905 should operate under the 1910 profile.  The 4500 is something that could be taken up in a support case.

• 3.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

Posted Oct 18, 2018 02:09 PM

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your reply. But, where do you see those references? I search in the "AirWave Supported Devices" document and it only mentions the HPE 5500. Do you see that information in the Releases Notes of AirWave? In the User Guide?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 03:27 PM

I didn't check the documentation, as I was looking directly in the code base.  Will bring this up with the documentation team, they should be able to sync code supported devices against what they have listed in the docs.

• 5.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

Posted Oct 18, 2018 03:45 PM

Hi Rob,

Sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean with the code base?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 03:51 PM

I was looking through the application code for the AirWave software.  Engineering has visibility of the underlying code.  Customers don't have this view point since the CLI is locked down.

• 7.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

Posted Oct 19, 2018 11:28 AM

Hi Rob,

One more thing about this. I open a TAC case in order to confirm the support for the HPE 4500 switch, but the TAC guy say this:

Estimado, 

Como le comenté en el correo de anterior, de los equipos que ud reporta (HPE 1905, 1910, 2920, 4500 & 5500) solo los modelos 5500 y 2920 son soportados por Airwave.
    Los demás equipos no son compatibles con esta herramienta.

Saludos cordiales, 

Which translated means:

As we have commented in the previous mail, of the equipmentthat is reported (HPE 1905, 1910, 2920, 4500 and 5500) onlythe models 5500 and 2920 are supported by Airwave.
    Other equipment is not compatible with this tool.

Really? I insisted with TAC that's only which is stated in the AirWave Supported Devices document, but it should be confirm with Aruba Engineering, but the TAC guy keeps saying the same.

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 11:58 AM

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/31022/Default.aspx

List of devices which are listed in HPE device section in support device guide have full support in airwave but we can add other model devices aswell in Airwave  to monitor with limited support.

• 9.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 12:08 PM

I see support for below model switches aswell and regarding 4500 series switch, we can add the device to airwave but with limited support.

AP_TYPE_HP_COMWARE_SWITCH_1910 => 645,
    AP_TYPE_HP_COMWARE_SWITCH_1920 => 646,
     AP_TYPE_HP_COMWARE_SWITCH_1950 => 647,

• 10.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

Posted Oct 19, 2018 12:35 PM

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for your reply.

List of devices which are listed in HPE device section in support device guide have full support in airwave but we can add other model devices aswell in Airwave  to monitor with limited support.

1. Sure? Because in that case those devices should be listed aswell just with a note saying they have limited support, like in the case Cisco 2960, which is listed and with that note:

cisco_supported.PNG

I see support for below model switches aswell and regarding 4500 series switch, we can add the device to airwave but with limited support.

AP_TYPE_HP_COMWARE_SWITCH_1910 => 645,
    AP_TYPE_HP_COMWARE_SWITCH_1920 => 646,
     AP_TYPE_HP_COMWARE_SWITCH_1950 => 647,

2. Then, do you mean full support for 1910, 1920 and 1950 and limited support for 4500?

3. Is the 1905 supported?

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: Ambiguous supported devices by AirWave

Posted Oct 18, 2018 03:59 PM

Ok, I understand now.

@rgin wrote:

From that list, I see specific support references in the code to:

1910, 2920, 5500

The 1905 should operate under the 1910 profile.  The 4500 is something that could be taken up in a support case.

I hope Aruba reviews the documents and rewrites them as necessary since they actually lead to confusion.

Many thanks for your help,

Julián