Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Another AirWave heatmap question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Another AirWave heatmap question

Posted Sep 18, 2014 03:27 PM

Sorry, I know there are a lot of these threads around, but reading them didn't quite answer my question.

I have an outdoor deployment of 275's in a zoo. It is 40 acres, hilly and full of trees and bamboo.

I took a scale drawing of the grounds (2D, not topographical) and uploaded it as a "floor plan". I marked the distance in a known area.

Now as I deploy AP's in new locations, I plop them in the VRF map. And as I look at the heat map, I am wondering how it is generated. I've attached a pic from today.

Monkey Deck, Otterly Cool, and Red Panda Deck are all new within the past 2 days. Monkey Deck is the newest, yet it shows heat and the other 2 do not. 

So questions:

• Is the heat color based on # and strength of connections?
    • How is it figuring out how far to extend the various heat colors?
    • And most intriguingly, how is it figuring out the shape of the heat colors? See around Meerkat - how has it determined the orange shape?

There are a couple of areas that show no coverage (or connections? Anyway, the white areas) where this is not the case. I am particularly curious about Otterly Cool. It's only been up a day, but it is a high traffic area that currently has a few connections.

Operationally, this isn't terribly important. I walk these areas and test with a variety of devices, and so far so good. But at some point I will be deploying Meridian, and I am assuming it uses similar information to determine location of users.

I am new to Aruba and have to say I am extremely pleased with the 275's performance. It was a lot of work to get that first one up (what with a controller and airwave and all), but subsequent deployments have been a snap.

Thanks!

#Meridian
    #ALE
    #LocationServices

• 2.  RE: Another AirWave heatmap question

Posted Sep 18, 2014 03:51 PM
      |   view attached

didn't see the attachment, so trying again

• 3.  RE: Another AirWave heatmap question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2014 04:01 PM

This would be better handled in a support case.  Support can run through with you on how to get site xml file and how to read the xml output.