Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

Posted Nov 15, 2017 05:23 PM

Hello,

I am trying to automate the provisioining of new AP's. We have been purchasing IAP's to give us the flexibility to move to controllerless network in the future (may never happen).  I am trying to setup aruba activate to convert the IAPs to CAPs. This seems to work without issue. I created a provisioning rul to convert from iap to cap, one of the other options is the group i want  it put in. I entered our primary group that all our AP's are in for our campus. i have been manually moving individual AP's into the test folder i created in Aruba.Activate before i try creating any more rules for provisioing ap's as they are purchased. Currenlty after i add an ap to the fodler nad the provisioining happens (status updated to provisioing from shipped). When i look at the controller (7205) it has placed the AP in the default folder and not in the primary group i wanted. I am not sure why. For the first couple ap's i tested with i needed them ready to go so i ran through the AP wizard on the controller to add it to the primary group and change its name. (have two controllers in a master <-> local setup)

• 2.  RE: Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

Posted Nov 16, 2017 03:32 PM

Any thoughts? is this in the right category?

• 3.  RE: Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2017 06:07 AM

I think it is the right category. Just I took a look and when you create a provisioning rule, there is a placeholder that tells the AP group provisioning is not supported at the moment:

2017-11-17 11_59_45-Aruba Activate.png

I'm pretty sure it is in there for future, but it appears expected that the AP Group setting is ignored.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2017 07:34 AM

You would actually need ClearPass Policy Manager to do this.

Here is how it should work:

You add activate to ClearPass as an endpoint context server:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/Aruba_CPPMOnlineHelp/index.htm#CPPM_UserGuide/Admin/EndpointContextServersAdd_ArubaActivate.htm?Highlight=activate which synchronizes the names and ap-groups of your devices in activate.

You then configure the Aruba Controller to Offload the Controller Whitelist to ClearPass Policy Manager:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Control_Plane/Whitelists_on_Campus_and_Remote_APs.htm

Long story short, you would:

- Configure the names and ap-groups of devices in Activate

- ClearPass would synchronize with Activate

- When the APs come up, the controller would look up the mac address of the device in ClearPass and apply the name and ap-group automatically.

Unfortunately, you cannot do this activity with just the controller and activate, unless something has changed recently.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

Posted Nov 17, 2017 12:37 PM

intersting. i had seen some references to airwave being used in conjunction with activate but did not know clearpass could be used as well. 

I looked at those documents and i am not seeing the same options in clearpass policy manager. They also reference rap's but i dont have any rap's, only cap's. 

I also have airwave which i have seen mentioned as being able to work with activate. Any pros/cons between airwave or clearpass for zero touch config?

• 6.  RE: Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2017 01:21 PM

You are not seeing the same options in the link I sent?  Please be specific.

So, Airwave would only be used for configuration of IAPs, not conversion of IAPs to CAPs.  CAP conversion requires a controller, but Airwave would only monitor that, not manage it, like it would IAPs.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

Posted Nov 17, 2017 02:29 PM

says to navigate to:

Navigate to Configuration > Security > Authentication > Servers

unders configuration I do not have security.

There is an Authentication but have methods and sources under it.

• 8.  RE: Aruba Activate to convert IAP > CAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2017 03:02 PM

Which instructions are you talking about?  That seems to be instructions for the controller.