Network Management

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Instant versus Controller

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba Instant versus Controller

Posted Nov 22, 2015 10:01 PM

Hello's

Looking for some advise. At what point does it make sense to choose Controller versus Instant? From my readings special use cases like wanting to utilize VIA would warrant having a controller. Use cases such as load or "# of   AP's deployed" do not necessarily warrant a controller. Can someone please verify this and also list what other situations would make me choose one over the other?

Thanks,

1-M

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant versus Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2015 10:05 PM
    One of the major considerations is complexity of the edge network. In a controller deployment, the APs can sit on any end-user VLAN since the actual wireless VLANs exist on the controller. With Instant, you would have to configure your edge network to have all the necessary wireless and management VLANs and tagged on all AP switchports. Another piece is scale. Controllers can handle thousands of access points. Instant clusters should stay below 128 access points.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Instant versus Controller

Posted Nov 22, 2015 10:29 PM

Thanks for your response. 

I do agree that VLAN's at the edge can add complexity especially as the number of edge switches increase but, do i lose any functionality when comparing the two?

Also, from a scale perspective, IF i was managing using Airwave doesn't this soemwhat become a moot point? I could have multiple L2 clusters all managed by Airwave and therefore get around the 128 access points #? 

Also on a side note, is it published anywhere the recommended/supported # of Instant Access points per Cluster?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: Aruba Instant versus Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2015 10:32 PM

There is not 100% feature parity between Instant and controller. Please work with your Aruba team or Aruba partner to help determine which will fit.

You are correct about having multiple clusters managed with AirWave.

I believe the 128 number is stated in the release notes and user guide.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Instant versus Controller

Posted Nov 23, 2015 10:17 AM

here you go, from the user guide.

Capture.JPG