Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

Posted May 22, 2019 09:11 AM

Should all the counters under Performance -> Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave show 0 under normal circumstances? I see a lot of variation between our controllers. Some are 0, others are as high as 3236 m/s (maximum). I don't see any problems with functionality in Airwave because of this, but should I contact TAC anyway? Airwave version is 8.2.8.1, controllers (mostly 7210) are running ArubaOS 6.5.4.9

• 2.  RE: Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2019 09:22 AM

Normally we should not see any AMON PAPI packet loss from controller, it means packets are getting dropped.

Normally we see this issue if you are having firewall in between controller and Airwave which blocking  jumbo frames. Default value is 1400 I believe you can cross check with other controller which is showing zero packet loss.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-configure-Jumbo-frames-support-on-Aruba-controller/ta-p/233790

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-verify-Jumbo-frame-support-for-AP-and-controller/ta-p/292682

• 3.  RE: Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

Posted May 22, 2019 10:07 PM

@Pavan Arshewar wrote:

Normally we should not see any AMON PAPI packet loss from controller, it means packets are getting dropped.

Normally we see this issue if you are having firewall in between controller and Airwave which blocking  jumbo frames. Default value is 1400 I believe you can cross check with other controller which is showing zero packet loss.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-configure-Jumbo-frames-support-on-Aruba-controller/ta-p/233790

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-verify-Jumbo-frame-support-for-AP-and-controller/ta-p/292682

Are Jumbo Frames supported with Airwave? I've been trying to get them enabled between our controllers and Airwave - and verified enabled based on the KB you referenced above (show datapath port). However, the interface of the controllers always shows "MTU 1500" (ArubaOS 8.3.0.6) - and I started to wonder if the language on Jumbo Frames was true that it's strictly for wired clients and APs only.

Jumbo-Frames.png

I thought maybe it had to do with my controller's ip vlan MTU - but i can't configure it beyond 1500.

vlan address.png

• 4.  RE: Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 23, 2019 09:38 AM

Airwave does support jumbo frames, if MTU is 1500 then compare buffer size with controller showing zero packet loss, if you see any difference try update value  in the controller which have PAPI loss.

# show amon msg-buffer-size

• 5.  RE: Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2019 02:11 PM

Hello AFK,

Before changing to jumbo frames, i would recommend to check these below first:

Please compare the working controller with the non working controllers.

check the MTU size, by doing the following:

# show ap system-profile <ap profile> | include MTU

if you the SAP MTU as N/a, it means it will be 1500, make a note if it is different.

then compare the amon-msg-buffer size

# show amon msg-buffer-size

see the value if it is difference, if they are different correct them. 

you could also compare the the ping difference between the working and non working controllers by doing:

# ping <airwave ip>  packet-size  <set the MTU value>  count <10 or more depending upon you>

see if there is a loss, if there is then, we need to troubleshoot and check, we could also try by reducing the packet size and use the size that works, by reconfiguring the MTU, at this point I would encourage a AOS TAC ticket to address this issue, as we are not sure, if you have to consider any other configuration on the controller, before making this change, TAC can guide you by looking at your controllers running configuration, they will also check if you have a need to allow jumbo frames.

lastly you could also check the interface status on the problem controller to see any CRC errors/input errors or output errors, by doing the below before opening TAC case:

# show interface gigabitethernet  <interface number>

hope this helps

--

• 6.  RE: Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

Posted May 28, 2019 07:56 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions. The SAP MTU shows as N/A in all AP system profiles, so I guess jumbo frames is not the culprit. I will create a TAC case and report back.

• 7.  RE: Average PAPI Packet Loss in Airwave

Posted Jun 17, 2019 08:37 AM

TAC case went nowhere, and since there are no obvious problems with our Airwave I closed the case. Still seeing PAPI packet loss though.