Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

Posted Apr 05, 2018 01:28 PM

Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

Mainly Cisco switches 2960X.

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 06:42 PM

yes, you upload the fw from the device setup -> firmware tab, then on the group -> you do group firmware enforce and set the firmware to push.

this can be done with switches in monitor or management state -> depends on the AMP Setup value that allows fw upgrades in monitor only mode.

• 3.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

Posted Apr 06, 2018 03:09 PM

Thanks Rob, but I only see Cisco Aironet IOS types, can I pick whatever type and force to the Cisco LAN switch?

• 4.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2018 05:32 PM

I'll need to double check on that.  When you add the Cisco Switch - is it getting the right device type?  What models of switches do you have?

If anything, if you can't get a bulk update by the group firmware enforce, you should at least be able to manually create firmware upgrade jobs.  To do this, you can either:

1) individually

In AMP, navigate to each switch's management tab, and use the 'Update Firmware' option at the bottom right.  The button only shows if the device is in the proper state for a firmware upgrade - meaning it's either in management mode or it's monitor-only w/ the AMP setup flag that allows f/w upgrades while in monitor-only mode.

2) bulk operation

-usually I suggest running at least 1 individual fw update first to time the process if this is your first time running upgrades from the AMP-

from a folder or group list (essentially a view that shows all the switches you want to update), you can select the 'bulk modify' pencil at the top right - and then choose the 'update firmware' action from the drop down - checking each switch that needs upgrade.

-----

Meanwhile, if you can provide the model and firmwares you currently have deployed, the team can help to double check the state of the firmware enforcement tab with the same or a similar model (depending what I have in the lab that's available).

• 5.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

Posted Apr 09, 2018 10:31 AM

Thanks again Rob, we want to implement this procedure to upgrade:

Cisco Routers ISR4331

Cisco Switches WS-C2960X-48FPS-L

• 6.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 02:17 PM

Doh!

Tried an actual 2960 switch and found the same that you reported.  Did some digging and checked the code base back into the AirWave 7.x.x releases - AMP only reads/reports the firmware version, but doesn't have firmware upgrade support.  The innovation portal (https://innovate.arubanetworks.com) shows only 1 other mention of Cisco Switch firmware support for 38xx series.  And the supported devices guide shows:

"AirWave supports automated discovery through SNMP, model and firmware version identification, and displays CDP neighbor information and extended port error statistics for..."

I've filed an RFE for this, but it'd be a good idea to also submit to the innovation portal since I'm sure you're not the only one who's run into this.

• 7.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:42 AM

Thank you Rob!!

• 8.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

Posted Sep 11, 2019 04:21 AM

Am having the same issue with C2960x model switches, i'd like to use AirWave as a single source of monitoring and updating our Estate but can't find an option that will let me upload the image as a recognised firmware file.

All the best

TBB

• 9.  RE: Can I manage IOS upgrades on Cisco Switches with Airwave 8.2.4.1?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2019 05:30 AM

Cisco Switch support 8.2.9

Capture.1JPG.JPG

pavan.PNG

I see cisco swtich currently have montioring only support but you give try by uploading fimrware under Device setup >Upload Firmware tab, once done go to Devices>List page  and select pencil icon and choose upgrade firmware option from Device action drop down list to upgrade.

pavan.PNG

Note: Make sure under AMP Setup > General >Firmware Upgrade/Reboot Options >>Allow firmware upgrades in monitor-only mode:  is set to monitior only mode if your swtich is in monitor only mode in Airwave.