Network Management

Clarification about AirWave and third-party vendor devices

Hi community,

This is an excerpt of the "AirWave 8.2.7 Supported Infrastructure Devices" document:

excerpt.PNG

According to this, I see you can get a lot of info from third-party vendor devices. Does this info refer only to the devices included within the "Third-Party Vendor Devices" section? Because I have also seen other posts about this which says that for the devices which are not in the list, you can only get up/down status and some interface metrics, not more. For example:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Network-Management/How-to-add-Ruckus-AP-s-to-Airwave/td-p/274266

Attached the "AirWave 8.2.7 Supported Infrastructure Devices" document. My customer has APs Fortinet and Ruckus, so I guess I will only get up/down status and maybe interface metrics from them, but I will not be able to do configuration, firmware upgrades, see traffic applications, etc.

Can you confirm please?

Many thanks in advance,

Julián

MVP

Re: Clarification about AirWave and third-party vendor devices

The supported device list depicts the devices that are supported in that particualr Airwave release. Airwave can monitor additional information for them instead of just up/down. E.g. You can add a supported Cisco WLC and Airwave will show you client count, CPU/memory utilziation, and so on.

For devices that are not listed, you can always add them as a geenric SNMP device and Airwave will show general SNMP stats like Up/down/interface utilziation.

JayBee
ACDX | ACCX| CCIE (RnS/SP,DC) | ACCP | ACMP | ACSA | ACMA | CWNA | JNCIS | JNCIA
If the provided solution resolves your issue, please mark it as accepted solution to help others.

Hi JayBee,

Thanks for your interest on this. One more doubt about this. If we can get additional information for the supported device list and not only SNMP stats, is the communication between AirWave and these devices via AMON and not via SNMP?

Regards,

Julián

MVP Guru

It uses SNMP protocol only, AMON is aruba proprietary protocol and it is supported in Aruba devices only.

Regards,
Pavan
If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!
NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know AMON is Aruba propietary protocol. But if both the supported device list and the not supported devices use SNMP, how can the supported device list provide additional information?

Regards,

Julián

MVP Guru

Its all depend on MIBs (Managment information Base) , every device which have snmp support will have MIBs.

Default Airwave will have support of generical MIBs which is common across all snmp supported devices. We recommand to add non-supported devices as universal device because it uses this generical MIBs and get the limited network data.

For supported devices, airwave will have all the  MIBs information of that particular device.

Regards,
Pavan
NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Hi Pavan,

OK, I also guessed it had to do with MIBs. Thanks for the confirmation :)

Regards,

Julián

Hi,

By the way, it would be nice AirWave allows to import MIBs from 3rd party devices. This way AirWave would be much more multivendor, but this feature is not supported yet...

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Network-Management/Can-I-install-3rd-party-MIBS-into-Airwave/td-p/230027

Regards,
Julián
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Please file feature request

https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/portal_session/new

Regards,
Pavan
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: