Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Client Identification in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Client Identification in Airwave

Posted Jun 22, 2016 05:58 AM

We're just rolling out BYOD and have noticed that mobile devices, namely Apple and Android, only display the MAC address in the client details but when I look in DHCP it correctly dispalys the device device name\hostname.

First image is the details held in DHCP and the second is what is displayed in Airwave for the same client, is there any way of getting the hostname\device name in DHCP to populate the hostname\device name in Airwave as we want to be able to track devices and know who owns what device without having to go to user documentation.

ScreenHunter_136 Jun. 22 10.54.jpg

ScreenHunter_135 Jun. 22 10.52.jpg

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Client Identification in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2016 06:35 AM

• 3.  RE: Client Identification in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2016 06:56 AM
    If you have a DNS server definited for airwave, it should do a reverse lookup in DNS and populate the hostname parameter http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AirWave_8_0_Web_Help/UserGuide.htm#AWUserGuide/Chapter2_Config/setup_Display.htm?Highlight=Dns

• 4.  RE: Client Identification in Airwave

Posted Jun 22, 2016 08:06 AM

The lookup device is already ticked as yes and the Hostname lifetime was set to 4 hours I've chnaged that to 24.

If I try doing a ping -a on the ip address it doesn't resolve back to a hostname.

The security on the SSID is PSK WPA2 with MAC auth.

• 5.  RE: Client Identification in Airwave
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2016 08:35 AM
    Does your DHCP server for that subnet publish hostnames to DNS?

• 6.  RE: Client Identification in Airwave

Posted Jun 23, 2016 05:00 AM

It was DHCP it had only been configured to dynamically allow the client to update DNS not DHCP so I've made the change and now all the devices Hostnames have appeared in Airwave.