Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

Posted Mar 04, 2014 07:44 AM

I need to disable Airwave's polling of a bunch of M3 cards for a period of about  a week. Would putting them in maintenance mode achieve this?

• 2.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

Posted Mar 04, 2014 07:50 AM

FYI:

Planned Downtime Mode : is to place device in planned maintenance mode so that no down triggers will be sent while in maintence.

from AirWave help:

Use the Enable Planned Maintenance Mode field in APs/Devices > Manage > General to put this device into planned maintenance. During the maintenance mode, no AP Down triggers will be deployed on these devices. Users will not be able to delete folders that contain devices in Planned Maintenance. The devices in Planned Maintenance will show the Up status, but will not be tracked in historical graphs and logs as Up. You can set multiple devices into Planned Maintenance Mode in the Modify Devices link on an AP list page.

• 3.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

Posted Mar 04, 2014 08:21 AM

There are 2 options, make sure you choose like Kdisc said, planned downtime.

There is maintenance mode but what that does is put your devices in read/write and will sync up configs with Airwave, therefore if you are doing configuration management from Airwave and it is mismatched, you risk losing part of your configuration.

Planned downtime is what you want.

If you want to disable everything completely, go into the CLI and type 'amp_disable now'

That will make AMP stop working completely, no polling no reporting, nothing.

To re-enable, amp_enable now

• 4.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2014 11:38 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with the suggestions so far.

Planned downtime mode flags the possible downtime period for the following:

a) downtime report (where you can filter out devices that had planned downtime periods)

b) alerts (you won't get alerts if the devices is in planned downtime mode)

c) status (the up/down status won't be changed during planned downtime -> though this behavior may have changed since the last time I tested the feature)

Disabling the AMP would technically halt polling, but it would also prevent you from polling any other controllers on your network.

------------------------

What I would suggest is this...

If you keep all controllers (including the ones you want to continue polling) in the same group:

1) create a new group, I created the example group "disabled polling"

2) on the group basic -> set all snmp poll periods to disabled

snmp poll periods.jpg

3) move the controllers that you don't want polled into that group

*4) optional step: put controllers into 'planned downtime mode'

If the controllers are all in separate groups:

Run through steps 2 &3 (step 4 is still optional) for each group that has a controller you don't want polled.

• 5.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

Posted Mar 04, 2014 11:45 AM

rgin

So u are saying the devices in maintenace mode - still getting snmp requests (polling) from AirWave?

If yes - so the method you wrote in your last post - will do the trick for him.(it will stop the snmp polling) **Thanks for a g00d tip** :smileyhappy:

from AirWave help:

Use the Enable Planned Maintenance Mode field in APs/Devices > Manage > General to put this device into planned maintenance. During the maintenance mode, no AP Down triggers will be deployed on these devices. Users will not be able to delete folders that contain devices in Planned Maintenance. The devices in Planned Maintenance will show the Up status, but will not be tracked in historical graphs and logs as Up. You can set multiple devices into Planned Maintenance Mode in the Modify Devices link on an AP list page.

• 6.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2014 12:06 PM

Correct.  As a fail-safe for customers who forget to unset devices from planned downtime mode, the AMP continues to poll but doesn't update up/down status or fire alerts for down device.

• 7.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

Posted Mar 12, 2014 05:30 AM

Hi chaps,

Further to previous on this... I've still got Airwave in maintenance mode, having pushed my controllers into a group called "Disabled Polling" , however I noticed when I investigated details of a particular client device, Airwave still has Match events for the device. How is this collected - is it pushed from the controllers?

• 8.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2014 01:33 PM

Check your controller config.

# show running-config | include mgmt

# show mgmt-server profile <<insert profile name>>

There are steer events that come from having the 'misc-enable' flag.

• 9.  RE: Disabling Airwave polling temporarily

Posted Mar 04, 2014 11:53 AM

Thanks for the update!  Arrived just in time :)