Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Firmware - Master controller and Local Controller

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Firmware - Master controller and Local Controller

Posted May 22, 2017 08:27 AM

Dear all,

I'm currently busy with the installation of a new site for a local office.

The new controllers have firmware version:

Model: Aruba7005
    Version: 6.4.4.12

Master Controller:

Model: Aruba3200
    Version: 6.4.2.12

Is this going to be a problem?

Kind regards,

Niels

• 2.  RE: Firmware - Master controller and Local Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2017 08:42 AM

You should make every effort to make sure both controllers in a master/local relationship are the same.  It would be bad to troubleshoot something for hours, just to realize mixed firmware could be the issue.  It would take less time to upgrade it...

We do not specifically test different versions of local/masters regularly.  If you opened a TAC case with a problem concerning this, upgrading is probably the first thing they would ask you to do.

• 3.  RE: Firmware - Master controller and Local Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2017 08:43 AM

Hi Niels,

We do not recommand to have different firmware versions in production enviorment.

Regards,

Pavan

• 4.  RE: Firmware - Master controller and Local Controller

Posted Aug 22, 2017 10:18 AM

Gents,

I totally understand why you should have all controllers on the same firmware version, but I have the following problem.

We have two 3400 series controllers with another 2 years left before being up for replacement according to our equipment lifecycle. These controllers can only be upgraded to AOS 6.4.4.9.

The rest of our network is running 7000 series and we intend to upgrade to the latest stable version, we are buying 315 series access points to deploy and these need at least AOS 6.5.x to be managed by a controller.

These two 3400's are critical to business operation (highly mobile warehouse environment with failover between the two 3400s).

I need to upgrade to get the 315s to work, what would you propose?