Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Help! QoS Basics on ArubaOS 7.4.1

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Help! QoS Basics on ArubaOS 7.4.1

Posted Apr 20, 2017 02:00 PM

I am having issues configuring QoS from start to end on ArubaOS 7.4.1, this is a broad topic, with many different type of answers.

I understand that I need to configure things in this order

Classifier

Policer

Queueing 

Classfier: using a 1120E Nortel

Let's start with classifying, let's assume I want to use LLDP-MED (Media Endpoint Device) to have my phones mark packets. All I need to do then is enable 802.1ab on the phone, is this correct?

Then create two VLANs, one for Data, and one for Voice, using the

#interface-profile voip-profile 

to distinguish the Voice Vlan, of course applying it to the access port.

Is this correct? Now what about the Data VLAN, how can I point the phone to the Data Vlan, what command do I use? Is this an interface-profile?

To further build on the voip-profile config,

#voip-dot1p

This is whatever or however I want to mark my ToS byte, I am assuming preffered 6 for voice. Is this correct?

#voip-dscp 

This is my DSCP field, and used to mark traffic as well, this could be any number I wish for my Voice traffic, but I am assuming preffered is 46, is this a correct assumption? 

#voip-mode auto-discover

I am assuming I would use Auto-Discover because I enabled LLDP 802.1ab on my phone, which also enabled (I hope) LLDPMED as well on the 1120E Nortel handset.  Is this a correct configuration, and assumption?

Now that my voice traffic is marked, or classified, how do I now make sure that Data traffic is in the correct VLAN and also marked in the ToS field? Is there a specific configuration I am missing?

Apply a Policy, 

I now need to use the 

#policer-profile (name)

command to build a poilcy on what to do with packets as they pass through. I am assuming this will direct the traffic into specific queues for processing. Like Voice traffic marked ToS 6 with DSCP of 46 will eventually be put into a Low Latency Queue for priority processing above all TCP traffic. Is this a correct assumption?

#Qos-profile Voice

BEFORE I can write the policer profile, however, I need to write a qos-profile. Is this a correction assumption?

So I now write a Voice qos-profile, I assume, to find, and direct, specifically marked packets using the following:

#qos-profile Voice

#dot1p 6

Does #dot1p 6 "re-write" over whatever the ToS field was before?

Is this not a 'classfier' function?

How does this command work, why do I use it?

#dscp 46

Does #DSCP 46 "re-write" over whatever the DSCP field was before? Is this not a 'classfier' function?

Now what do I do with the following?

(Please if you could explain why as well if possible,)

#drop-precedence

#traffic-class

Is this function used to mark into one of the 7 available queues on an interface? How do I effectively use this command?

Policer-profile cont'd

I now write a policer-profile Voice, and apply it to an interface, lets say the access port for the phone. 

Now I have my qos-profile Voice ready to go, where do I apply it to the policer? How do I properly configure a Policer? 

Is this my Queueing tool? Is this one of the 7 queues that are available per an interface?

How do I use this properly to create a Low Latency Queue for Voice packets?

How do I use this to create a Class Based Fair Weighted Queue, for all other Data traffic?

What the heck is 

#violate-action remark

Remark what? Where? In a ToS field? 

I feel like I have 33% of this understood maybe a bit more.

How do I manage my queue and create a LLQ-CBWFQ, for both voice and all other data?

Thank you very much in advance, I know this is a whole lot to sift through.

• 2.  RE: Help! QoS Basics on ArubaOS 7.4.1

Posted Apr 20, 2017 02:18 PM

Also the Aruba networks S3500-24p PoE switch 

seems to not have the 

#profile-map (name)

command under global configuration. 

I am running Aruba OS 7.4.3

• 3.  RE: Help! QoS Basics on ArubaOS 7.4.1

Posted Apr 21, 2017 01:56 PM

I think I may have found a solution, however, if any feed back, please feel free to chime in. You (the reader) may know something I have overlooked or that I just plain don't know. 

TRUSTED MODE for an interface 

Documentation

When the QoS mode on a port is set to be trusted, the received 802.1P/DSCP is considered trustworthy and the frame is allowed to exit with those values intact. The received DSCP or 802.1P value is used to index predefined QoS profiles to determine traffic class and drop precedence. These QoS profiles cannot be edited at this time.

Sounds like trusted mode will accept the packets marked with 802.p1 headers (CoS field) and push it forward, it should then put it into one of 7 predefined queues that are mapped and cannot be changed. 

It reads as if the phone will "mark" or "classify" the packets, then the switch will "police" or apply a "policy" and "queue" the packet for us. 

This function is Trusted mode for 802.1p and DSCP packets. All ports are automatically disabled by default to trust incoming 802.1p markings since it could be abused to expedite packets if the client knows how to mark the packets.

At least this is how I interpreted the reading of "Trusted" mode.

This of course only applies to Aruba switches, and we need to test it by pushing packets through wireshark then receiving them, and looking at the CoS fields in the 802.1q fields where the markings are placed.