Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

This thread has been viewed 88 times
  • 1.  How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted Feb 25, 2019 02:04 PM

Hello All

We have HP Aruba switches and I deployed Airwave recently. I registered switches to Airwave and it works great. I want to schedule Airwave to take config backup switches periodically and automatically. But I didn't find such a menu. I am not sure if this feature exists or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your attention. 

• 2.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted Feb 25, 2019 07:40 PM

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a way to set a dedicated Backup schedule

If you have "aduit configuration" enabled at the group level, airwave should take backups automatically. I notice mine happen about every time a config change happens. (I imagine a SNMP trap is sent that triggers a backup)

If you go the device page in Airwave, then go to the config page, do you see any backups?

• 3.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted Feb 26, 2019 01:52 AM

I can take config backup to Airwave. But my concern here is I want to take backups to another TFTP server periodically. 

• 4.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2019 12:39 AM

Hi

As on today we dont have option to schedule Aruba OS switches config backup but as others said we can do on demand backup. This is possible to do and will be a new feature request

Thanks

Sandeep

Aruab Airwave Engineering Team

• 5.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted Feb 27, 2019 01:51 PM

Thanks for the information. It is a very important feature, I think. Almost all of our clients who use airwave asking me that. I hope it will release soon.

• 6.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted Dec 10, 2019 01:34 PM

Hello - I'm trying to do the same thing you are. Did you ever get a response regarding when this feature will be available? We recently upgraded AirWave to 8.2.10.0, but I still don't see anything like what you're describing. For many years I've been able to have a 'save configuration' script run every night, along with downloading a copy of the running config to a server, by using Solar Winds Orion - but we are no longer using that product and I can't seem to find anything else that does it in such a straightforward manner. Here's hoping we see this added soon!

• 7.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted Dec 10, 2019 03:38 PM

Hi, airwave make automatic backup of switches at Nightly Maintenance Time (You can check the time in AMP Setup tab).

But it only will do when you change the configuration of the switch.

If you didn't make changes, it won't backup again.

• 8.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 23, 2021 07:33 AM
    We have a slightly diffefrent requirement.  Our Airwave server ( 8.2.12.1) has all our switch configs but an internsl support team wants to pull the switch configs out of airwave and store them in a secondary backup system.

Is this somethnig that there is an API for ?
    Rgds
    Alex

------------------------------
    Alex Sharaz

• 9.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2019 12:39 AM

Hi

As on today we dont have option to schedule Aruba OS switches config backup but as others said we can do on demand backup. Also  it is possible to do and its a new feature request

Thanks

Sandeep

Aruab Airwave Engineering Team

• 10.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted May 04, 2023 06:19 AM

Hi everybody,

Long time from this post. Do you know if this feature has been implemented? Because neither is possible to download the automatic backups AirWave has for the switches when they change their configuration, I can see the backups, but there is not a "Download" button.

You can only click on the "Eye" button, copy and paste the configuration in a notepad, unbelievable :(

Regards,
    Julian

• 11.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2023 08:36 AM

Features are generated by interest.  Please see if this or other features on innovate match your request and vote for them so that they get visibility:  https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/NMS-I-2561

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 12.  RE: How to get automatic config backups of Airwave managed switches

Posted May 04, 2023 09:35 AM

Hi,

That's OK, but when Aruba talks wonders about AirWave and not even can make scheduled devices backups... is sad. Not even no to be able to download a switch configuration from AirWave is very sad...

Regards,
    Julian