Network Management

Highlighted
Contributor I

How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

I have aruba 3810m switches in a stacked configuration and I am looking for the process on how to upgrade the firmware

Occasional Contributor I

Re: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

I did it last week on 3810M stack config with two members

Uploaded the file via webinterafce and reboot the stack (also via webinterface)

Current SW version is #KB.16.09.0003

Contributor I

I guess I should have been more specific, we do not enable the web interfaces for security reasons, I have the process down for using the cli but i was more curious how you do each individul switch. Do you just have to do the commander or the commander and the standby? Can you do it during normal hours of does the switch stack have to reboot? I am looking for details like that

Occasional Contributor I

Hi,

you can do it via tftp and also via usb, see this link:

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/WB/15-18/5998-8162_wb_2920_mcg/content/ch09s03.html

usb I never used, but it is also possible.

You only update once the commander, all members will be updated by the commander.

Yes, you have to reboot the full stack, not recommended doing this during working hours.

Contributor I

I was hoping that the commander would be the only one that I needed to apply it too and I figured there would be a reboot of the switches in the stack to make them take affect but I have never done it before so I wasn't completely sure. Is loading the new update to the secondary image. leaving it run for awhile the best way to test? I know I have heard the sometimes firmware updates can break things. 

Occasional Contributor I

It doesn't make sense.

Most of the time I copy the running software from primary to secondary, so the versions are equal.

After that I update the primary images with a new one and reboot the the switch or stack from the primary image.

If it fails, you can boot from secondary with the old software version.

But you can also first update the secondary .. and later on the primary. Your choice..

I never broke down a switch with an update, but new versions ... sometimes some new bugs, yes ;-)

- Make a copy of your config before update, so you can always rollback .. ;-)

- since version 15/16 software versions,  Aruba recommends to update in small updates steps, max. 2 software subversions between each update.

So 16.03 can be updates to 16.05 and so on ...

Suc6!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: