Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

This thread has been viewed 92 times
  • 1.  How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Sep 06, 2019 11:11 AM

I have aruba 3810m switches in a stacked configuration and I am looking for the process on how to upgrade the firmware

• 2.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Sep 09, 2019 05:41 AM

I did it last week on 3810M stack config with two members

Uploaded the file via webinterafce and reboot the stack (also via webinterface)

Current SW version is #KB.16.09.0003

• 3.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Sep 09, 2019 09:28 AM

I guess I should have been more specific, we do not enable the web interfaces for security reasons, I have the process down for using the cli but i was more curious how you do each individul switch. Do you just have to do the commander or the commander and the standby? Can you do it during normal hours of does the switch stack have to reboot? I am looking for details like that

• 4.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 09, 2019 03:32 PM

Hi,

you can do it via tftp and also via usb, see this link:

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/WB/15-18/5998-8162_wb_2920_mcg/content/ch09s03.html

usb I never used, but it is also possible.

You only update once the commander, all members will be updated by the commander.

Yes, you have to reboot the full stack, not recommended doing this during working hours.

• 5.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Sep 09, 2019 03:40 PM

I was hoping that the commander would be the only one that I needed to apply it too and I figured there would be a reboot of the switches in the stack to make them take affect but I have never done it before so I wasn't completely sure. Is loading the new update to the secondary image. leaving it run for awhile the best way to test? I know I have heard the sometimes firmware updates can break things. 

• 6.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Sep 09, 2019 03:50 PM

It doesn't make sense.

Most of the time I copy the running software from primary to secondary, so the versions are equal.

After that I update the primary images with a new one and reboot the the switch or stack from the primary image.

If it fails, you can boot from secondary with the old software version.

But you can also first update the secondary .. and later on the primary. Your choice..

I never broke down a switch with an update, but new versions ... sometimes some new bugs, yes ;-)

- Make a copy of your config before update, so you can always rollback .. ;-)

- since version 15/16 software versions,  Aruba recommends to update in small updates steps, max. 2 software subversions between each update.

So 16.03 can be updates to 16.05 and so on ...

Suc6!

• 7.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Oct 01, 2020 09:46 AM

I am interested in these

You only update once the commander, all members will be updated by the commander.

Yes, you have to reboot the full stack, not recommended doing this during working hours.

?
    1.what steps to update all members from commander

2. what will happen if commander primary 16.10 and secondary 16.5
    will member upgrade primary secondary to the same version or primary only will be upgraded
    3. should I reboot least important member first then last commander
    what will happen if commander rebooted.
    will member elect new commander

tq

• 8.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Feb 03, 2020 12:56 PM

Sorry for replying on this old thread but I want to upgrade the firmware on the 3810M stack that I have.

The current firmware and ROM is the following:

Primary Software KB.16.05.0007 (Booted)
    Secondary Software KB.16.04.0008
    ROM KB.16.01.0008

I can upgrade it from web interface Status -> Firmware upgrade?

I would like to go to KB.16.05.0013 and then to KB.16.06.0012 is it possible?

• 9.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 04:19 PM

This is 2 step upgrade. Upgrade to KB.16.05.0013  first, reboot the switches and then upgrade to KB.16.06.0012. You have to create seperate config jobs for each upgrade.

• 10.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

Posted Feb 03, 2020 04:32 PM

Thank you for the reply Gowri.

I have several Aruba 2530 and I upgrade them regularly so I knew that it should need two steps to go to .06.012.

So the procedure is to upgrade the whole stack, not each switch separately, from the web interface, restart it and after the reboot upgrade it to KB.16.06.0012 and reboot again, I am right?

The stack is our core switches so this is why I am a bit anxious! :)

• 11.  RE: How to upgrade the firmware on a switch stack

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 04:37 PM

That is correct.